Let’s build Fishpond! :-)

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Let’s build Fishpond! :-)

Postby Waterlily » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:31 am

Hello to all! (F)
I want to show you all our great fishpond. We had building it 2, 5 months ago with all our children. 16 000 liters, 70 goldfishes, many water plants, 20 pots with nymphaeas and I'm one of them. )))
Now I have some exp in building fishponds and could tell if somebody plans to do it. It's fantastic feeling to have it! I don't know more wonderful place where possible to spend some free time. It's really great!
Take a look please. http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a11/An ... 0Fishpond/
I'll put more pics later.
Thank you all for your lovely forum. (F) I hope to be good member here. First I need to read absolutely all here, because I found you right now. Sorry for my simple English :oops: , this is my second language. :roll:
Thanks. :D
Last edited by Waterlily on Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Contact me before cutting, damaging or removing any PLANTS on your land.
Waterlily
Curator

Postby The Estate » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:46 am

Hi and a bif welcome to you, your pond is absol. fantastic, you must be very proud, and lots for photos to look at would be good, well done
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Chris C » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:54 am

Hi Nymphae,

Welcome to the forum - wonderful pond, I'm green with envy!! :wink:

You've picked a great state to settle in. 8)

All the best with your gardening efforts.
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns
Chris C
Curator

Postby mic » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:42 pm

Wow that is amazing, I really like the little island piece that juts into the pond. I bet your kids enjoy it.
mic
Head Gardener

Postby Yani » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:21 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

No worries about language. English is my second language too :) . Btw...your pond look gorgeous!! You must be proud of your hardwork :P
Mouse and Bunny ROCKS!!! :lol: :lol:

Image Image
Yani
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlily » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi The Estate! Hi Chris C! Hi Mic! Hi Yani!
Oh! :shock: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :D
So nice to read all you wrote. :oops: :D
Oh, yeah, I’m very proud. I was very excited from building it . I pushed everybody to do it faster. :lol: Sometimes I think…God! It’s incredible we did it without any professional help and saved some money from professionals. :) Of course internet helped me a lot in it. I read about it 6 months and I said hmmm, why not.

The Estate, yes, of course I’ll put more pics on this week :D , we try to change provider, therefore internet too slow to download it right now.
Chris C, it’s very good that GREEN with envy. :D Yeah, I love WA (F) , this is really wonderful place.
Mic, yes, idea about two islands had my husband. From beginning we didn’t want to build just simple or like a round. We wanted something different and special. Yes, kids are happy especially with fishes. :D
Yani, there is one very important moment in building fishpond with family. We became more close to each other ‘cause worked all together.
I would like to share with all of you all that I already know about home making in landscaping because if you don’t share you can’t grow in it. I’m really very happy that I found your forum. (F)

Tomorrow I would like to tell about all process and to say some words about a couple mistakes we did. I hope it will help somebody to start to do it. You will see our fishpond later, when plants grow more.
I plan to start soon great BBQ area next to fishpond but about it later. 8)
Thanks.
P.S. I want change the name of topic ‘cause I would like if we could talk about building fishponds, growing costal and water plants. Ok? :)
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Ann » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:49 pm

Welcome, Annie both to WA and to the forum. :D You must have a big garden to be able to do such wonderful work in it. :D Where in WA are you :?: Perth like chris :?: Sounds like we'll be picking your brains for advice with our gardens :lol:
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlily » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi Ann! :D
Nice to meet you (F) and nice to meet all! (F) (F) (F) (F) (F)
Ann, I’m from Armadale. No, Ann, not so big yet. :) I just started 11 months ago. :roll: My husband didn’t do any gardening :) therefore I started right from weeds. ))) I wanted fast result therefore I played))) with annuals first but would like to play with perennials more. I’ll show later what I did for this time but of course it’s only 10% of all gardening I want.
...To close fence and to do some new rockeries, one piece with Japanese garden and…and…and. Gardening is my life style now not just a hobby and I love it. (F)
Yes yes yes, about advices…you are WELCOME all. :D And I have many questions to all of you too. :wink:
Thank you Ann. (F)
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Mitzy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:47 pm

Annie!
Welcome to WA! I am a transplant to WA, also, I am a little north of you in Ferndale, but Armadale is beautiful! My husband and I have talked about moving south a bit. It looks a bit more like home to me (Oregon, on the west coast of the U.S.) but we are kind of settled in here for the next year or so.
We are in the plannning stages of a fishpond and major landscaping ourselves. We plan to really get going on things this autumn and are just cleaning, weeding and making flower beds, getting a fence in, etc, for now
I will watch your progress closely. Glad you found G.E.
Mitzy
Lawn trimmer

Postby keep trying » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Hi Nymphae, welcome to WA and to the forum. Wow what a fish pond/lake you have created. It looks fantastic. i wish you lived next door to me, then when you have finished your garden we could take down the dividing fence and you could work your way through my garden. congrats on a job well done.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again. Thats me. I just keep on trying.
keep trying
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:41 pm

Annie, your pond is just absolutely lovely. You and your family should be very proud of it.

Welcome here to GE. We will look forward to hearing about the building process, and seeing more of your garden as it develops.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pokie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:00 pm

Hello and welcome! :D
Pokie
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlily » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:07 am

Hi Mitzy!
Wow! So we are neighbours! :shock: Great! :D I hope we will maybe even meet in one day if you need some help. ))) (F)
Mitzy, be attentive and not in a hurry in your landscaping please. I was in a hurry and did some mistakes on our frontyard but I understood it too late. Now I want to change it. :)

Hi Keep trying!
You made my day. :mrgreen: Yep, could be great to live all together somewhere...Gardener Street...Garden Town. :) Our neighbours are pensioners and we have tiny fence. I already draw in my imagination how I could build them fishpond too. ))) That’s funny. :D Thank you! (F)

Hi Pam!
Thank you! (F) It was really not so hard because we wanted to finish it faster. ))) I’m in a hurry to live therefore I push-push-push everybody all the time to do something. :)

Hi Pokie!
Thank you! :D (F)
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Waterlily » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:34 am

Well…Let’s start. :)
Most important thing in building fishpond it’s more sun and no trees around. We need more sun that water could be not green and we don’t need trees absolutely if we don’t want walk with net every day to clean “mirror” of fishpond like I do. Thanks for crazy WA wind who makes my live harder and gives me more work :) ‘cause we have a couple of trees in neighbourhood. )))
If we want use filter with pump it’s great ‘cause we could build water feature like I did with my husband’s help. Water feature brings this wonderful sound of running water and make us quiet and happy. And fishes love to be under this falling water all the time. :P
First we need plan. No need to dig more than 1m, enough even 80 cm deep for our climate. For natural looking we could stay somewhere 20-30 cm deep to see fishes better. If we will use river stones 20-30sm somewhere looks great. We used cheapest stones and wanted close to terracotta colour in fishpond area. Our fishpond covered with plastic and not cementing. Cementing could have cracks later therefore maybe better don’t risk.
Ok. It’s all for today because I have work to do. :) Tomorrow I’ll continue.
Thank you. :D
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Mitzy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:59 am

Thanks for the tips. According to the council our pond can only be about 2 feet deep (see, still thinking like an American) unless we want to have put up pool fencing, which we don't. I was glad to hear about how shallow a pond will work! I like being able to see the fish, anyway. What about a big, but shallow pond? That is what we are thinking.
Anyway, we are really taking our time. We are doing the planning and prep now, but won't put any plants in until it gets cooler at the beginning of winter. The pond may even wait until next year. We have a pretty good budget for getting things done, I just don't want to rush things.
Anyway, HI NEIGHBOR :wink:
Mitzy
Lawn trimmer

Postby DAFF » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:47 pm

:D HI Nymphae, your pond is excellent, Mr D is hoping to build one in the near future so i will show him yours first, i love the islands they really are great :D
DAFF
Senior Curator

Postby Comeilotei » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:19 pm

Hello Nymphae! Welcome to the forum! What a lovely HUGE fish pond you have! It's just fantastic!!! And your healthy water plants....what a drool! Loved reading all your tips, most of all, looking at your photos, thank you. I have a fish pond too and would love to learn more about maintenance etc. I have approx 80 - 100 goldfish, have lost count. Most of them have names... :oops: :oops: :oops:
I failed to fertilise them this year in winter because I was too busy with my rose garden, never mind I'll do that next winter :evil: . My water lilies are in bud and bloom at the moment :D :D :D . I only have the hardy ones in pink, yellow, pale orange and white. I was thrilled to see my water iris bloom for the first time last week :D :D :D (see
http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3510

Keep the pics and tips coming Nymphae!

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:33 am

What a wonderful, wonderful project, Nymphae - something to be really proud of, especially with all your hard work! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlily » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:52 am

Mitzy, you are welcome. :D Oh, only 60cm. (((Anyway it will be greattt and you see all inside all the time. Don’t worry please. (F) To build big and shallow pond possible of course. For water lilies enough 40cm even, but 60cm is perfect. All other water plants will grow well and fast too but prefer fertilising. There are not really so much water plants for deep water.
GOOD LUCK NEIGHBOUR! :D

Hi, DAFF! Thank you! (F) Wow! Great! (Y) Start ASAP. ))) Good news really! :D

Hi, Comeilotei! And thank you! (F) More good news! Hello colleague! :) Wow! 80-100? Cool! We had 75 goldfishes but 5 died in first some days. I think maybe they were shocked from so big pond and had heart attack after tiny container with water in shop. :wink:
Comeilotei, how big your pond and how deep? I think for 100 fishes should be big enough.
I have white, pink (or red don’t know yet, shop sold 3 different but we see already two white :shock: ) and 17 yellow water lilies. They are all from one mother. ))) I transplanted 3yo water lily (was 20 kilos of roots :-@ ) from another small pond we have in front with 6 koi. And I have 17 pots with this yellow water lily. They grow very fast. I have one problem with one of my nymphaes (water lilies) from shop. I see 4 more blooms but they closed and just floating in water. :roll:
Comeilotei, I answered in your topic. ))) I have home irises too. ))) I see you have net on your pond, looks like you have flying fish hunters (or cats) in your area…We didn’t use net, because our dog helps to us with kicking birds from pond area. )))

Thank you, Luzy! (F) Oh, yeah, was busy 2 months building it. ))) There are some hundreds more projects in my head :-@ , hope to realize them all ASAP. :D
BRB soon. 8)
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Comeilotei » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

Hello Annie, I don't have the exact measurements/ figures for my fishpond, I think it only holds about 4,000 litres of water, nowhere near as big as yours' that's for sure! Yes we put a netting over the pond to protect the fishies from cormorants, not cats (they don't like water, other than to quench their thirst once in a while).

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Next

Return to Water Gardens