Let’s build Fishpond! :-)

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Postby cordelia » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:37 am

Annie, what a wonderful story with a wonderful outcome...the pond is beautiful :shock: :D . Did you use ordinary plastic, or special pond liner? I love the varied outline of the pond...really interesting.

I look forward to more photos of your fabulous dreams 8)
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby Waterlily » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:40 am

Hi Comeilotei. 4 000 litres it’s big enough. (Y)
Cormorants…hmmm, who is this? Birds? Sorry, never hear about it. :oops:
We thought about net too in beginning, but there is no reason yet. I could run around pond with stick if see birds. :lol:

Hi Cordelia! (F) :D Thank you. :D Yes, we used pond liner. We bought more than 20 meters and glued 3 pieces with special tape. Ordinary plastic is not so good I think and not for long time.

I continue my story tomorrow. I'm busy a little... :-@
Last edited by Waterlily on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contact me before cutting, damaging or removing any PLANTS on your land.
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:53 am

Annie, I'm looking forward to your next round of instructions. You obviously researched your project well before you began! :D :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlily » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:26 am

Hi, Pam. Yes, of course I will tell. :D You know, theory from internet it’s nothing :!: till you start to do it. After building one to build second just easy. :lol: Not so much sites really tell all secrets 8) of it, most of them just only give standard instructions. :wink:
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:28 am

That's right, Annie, as with so many things, it's the initial learning that takes the time. Most things get easier with practice.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:31 pm

Nymphae wrote:Hi Comeilotei. 4 000 litres it’s big enough. (Y)
Cormorants…hmmm, who is this? Birds? Sorry, never hear about it. :oops:
We thought about net too in beginning, but there is no reason yet. I could run around pond with stick if see birds. :lol:

Hi Annie,

Cormorants are birds that eat fish. We lost about 40 fish at one time, only 1 survived (Mottley is now 8 years old, what a survivor!), so the next thing was that we put a netting over the pond, replaced our fishies and haven't lost any fish ever since. Our cat does not affect the fish whatsoever. She loves watching them even if she puts her paw in the water, the fish is too quick and will swim away and she hates getting wet!

Some info on cormorants:

http://www.montereybay.com/creagrus/cormorants.html

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby froglover » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:20 am

WOW! Annie that is just a beautiful pond area you and yours have created! I am very impressed. :D I'd love to see it in another year or so as the plants mature - it will look even MORE stunning! WELL DONE! Especially for living in the Armadale area which is pretty dry! I used to live in Perth and Albany, so was travelling through Armadale quite often. Nowadays, I live on the East OCast so I visit the kids in Albany once a year. :)

We also have a pond, but it is just an 'a la naturel' pond dug out of the clay soil and filled with water from a natural spring. Actually, we have TWO ponds that are linked. Here's a few piccies:

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/f ... e%20ponds/
froglover
Senior Curator

Postby midgin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:29 am

Hi Nymphae and Mitzy. welcome. Nymphae you certainly have built a magnificent pond..it looks so lovely and natural. Very well done..'yay' for the day...
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlily » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:57 am

Hi Pam, I come back. :D

Comeilotei, thank you. :D So pitttyyyy, oh, 40 fishes… :cry:
Oh God! This bird really looks like killer. :shock: We will put double net if see somebody like cormorants. (yn) No, I didn’t see here something like this only some grey small birds. Thank you, I just wanted ask you to show me them. :)
Comeilotei, please, can you show your fishpond too? I would like to see it. :) (F)

Hi Froglover!
WoooooooW! :shock: :shock: :shock: Now I’m very impressed!!! :lol: Your pics fantasticcc! Your large pond (pic 22) looks greatttttttt (Y) , looks like nature created it. Wonderful!!! (F) Hello colleague! :) Yes, Armadale is pretty dry really, I put some water in pond every third day. I have only one problem with plants around pond…they could grow faster…50 cm a day for example. :lol:

Hi Midgin! :D Thank you! (F) Yes, natural looking is first thing we wanted. But I still take away stones when plants grow bigger, too much stones in one line look not so natural. :roll:

Ok, I continue to tell. We dug and it was like you see on pic.
Under pond liner we use old carpets to cover all. Next we put glued pond liner. After it we put small and some big stones on bottom and some water.
For growing plants on the edges we need some preparations too…
We put some soil for natives (!)+ Fertiliser for natives (!) or special tablets. Next we put 2-3 cm of sand to keep dirt from floating in pond. We could do the same on the bottom of pond for growing water lilies but they become wild in some years therefore better to use containers for them. Next we transplant plants and right after it water till the top.
Every pot with water plant should have newspaper in first +soil for natives+ fertiliser for natives or 1-2 tablets+sand+small stones. Better to use big pots for transplanting once at 6-8 months not often. It’s all for today. 8)
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:22 am

I'm loving this Annie. Thankyou! :D

Newspaper in the pots of water plants is something I hadn't thought of - thanks again. I knew about putting gravel on the top to stop the mix floating off the top, but hadn't given much thought to the drainage holes.

There is a waterfall-come-fishpond here that was built from concrete and rocks that needs rebuilding at some stage in the future. The ground here movess a LOT, which having read your write-up, explains the huge cracks in the concrete - not to mention the roots of the poor gum tree that it has been built around! :roll:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlily » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:06 am

Pam, thank you! :D And you are ALWAYS welcome. :D
Yes, newspaper is the best and better even some pages. If even roots broke newspaper in some months it’s ok because “naked” roots in water it’s very good for working and cleaning water also :idea: .
Gravel yes, of course, but 2-3cm of sand helps too. And please use ONLY native soils, never compost or something other. :!:
Yes, roots from trees are first trouble for all ponds. I have mandarin tree in 1 meter from water…and just ask God every day don’t let to grow roots in pond side, heh. :) I don’t risk transplanting plants with strong roots in pond area.
I’m busy doing gardening on weekend :-@ therefore Monday I tell and show detailed ( :!: ) pics how to build water feature from one wonderful UK site and from Chelsea Show. 8)
Pam, please don’t start till Monday. :lol: :lol: (F)
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:13 am

Pam, please don’t start till Monday.

There's not much risk of that, Annie. This weekend is earmarked for a big tip-run. Or ten! :roll:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlily » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:21 am

:shock: Oh...ok. Take it easy. :) And good luck, Pam. (F)
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Waterlily » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:23 am

Oops :roll: , btw, I pit 10 more pics of our pond. Welcome to all. :D
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Comeilotei » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks Annie for your advice on potting water plants. Much appreciated!

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlily » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:35 pm

Comeilotei, you are ALWAYS welcome!!! :D (F)
Sorry, girls&boys... :oops: I was too busy all this time :roll: , changed many things in my life and provider first :) ...toooooo crazy was internet last 2 months...anyway...I'm here. :D
Pam...sorry... :oops: (F)
Here is that link about building water feature...hope not too late... :roll:
Pam, you can find all here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/design/p ... pond.shtml
And! They have wonderful thing for practice with all your garden ideas...you could play with it...just download here... :) http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/design/v ... ndex.shtml
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:52 pm

It's good to see you back, Annie. I was wondering where you'd gotten to. :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:12 pm

Ditto, good to see you back Annie!

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlily » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:32 am

Thank you, Pam. :D
Thank you, Comeilotei. :D
Very nice to see you!!! :D
I will put some new pics of our fishpond tonight.
And we have some baby fishes yahooo-hoooo :lol: ! Even one blackkk! :shock:
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:36 am

I will look forward to your pics, Annie.
Pam
Garden Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Water Gardens