Water lilies in pots

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Water lilies in pots

Postby Stormgirl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:29 am

Has anyone had any success with a water lily in a pot of water?

If so, can you share the secrets of success please?

(I think maybe my pot is not deep enough :cry: )
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby Mister Wisteria » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:08 pm

I used to have them in a bath tub with gold fish, seemed to go okay. Just repotted them every 2 years. I would suggest you leave them in thier own pot and then put that into your pot of water.
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:41 pm

An above ground warer garden's on my to do list.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Patricia » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:09 pm

Stormgirl I have water lillies in a set of concrete laundry tubs ie approx 40cm deep & they have been really successful ...in fact one particular lily has been putting on a non-stop flower display for approx 6-7 weeks. I just placed the original pot into the water & have never had to touch them since...my water irises multiply rapidly & I am forever having to thin them out before they take over the whole pond!!
Tai Chi - Mind, body and spirit are all exercised simultaneously. The continuous flowing movements of Tai Chi are based on the principle that running water never stagnates. The gentle movements relax your muscles while strengthening your body and mind.
Patricia
Gardening Sage

Postby cordelia » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:07 pm

I was told to pot them in a lump of cow manure, put stones on top, and put them deep in the water. So I did, and most of them flowered beautifully. :D :shock: :D One rotted, one didn't flower, but might next year.

They need full sun, and a bit of water change (1/8 to1/4 the water fortnightly if in a smallish pot of water, refill only if in a large area) but not flowing water.

I have mine in a half barrel (thanks, Yani!!!!), and it is fine except in the very hot weather the outside dries too rapidly and the barrel leaks in the top 1/8 or so. And it breeds mozzies. Too warm for fish to eat them. :oops: :evil: :oops:

Good luck with yours. :)
cordelia
Senior Curator

Postby charlie_bruno » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:53 pm

Haven't tried, yet! Was going to wait til spring this year. I wasn't sure if one would survuve the frosts. I was told to get a dwarf species for my small size water feature, so the root system wouldn't take over.
charlie_bruno
Senior Curator

Return to Water Gardens