Garden Ponds

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Garden Ponds

Postby pimano » Sat May 05, 2007 10:04 am

Garden Ponds

Garden ponds also known as aquatic gardens, backyard ponds and water gardens, have become popular in recent years. these gardens typically combine a pool with aquatic plants and fish. Fixed items such as rocks, fountains, statuary, waterfalls and watercourses can be combined with the pool to add visual interest and integration with the local landscape and environment.

Before starting your own soothing spring, you should consider to a few detail. Determine the size and shape of your pond to help you select the appropriate plants, think about how much light is available. Lots of sunshine can help keep the plants growing, the fish eating, and the algae in check. Plant life does well in a foot or two of water, but if you want fish, you need much more depth to prevent birds from plucking the fish from your pond.

Select aquatic plants:

· Marginal plants are those that live with their roots under the water but the rest of the plant above the surface. These are usually placed so that the top of the pot is at or barely below the water level.

· Floating plants are those that are not anchored to the soil at all, but are free-floating on the surface. In water gardening, these are often used as a provider of shade to keep down the growth of algae in a pond. These are often extremely fast growing/multiplying.

· Algae is another plant type that is found in most ponds. There are hundreds of species of algae that can grow in garden ponds.

Select Fish:

· Koi see information about Koi at http://www.koilover.blogspot.com/

· Goldfish see information about Koi at http://www.goldfish-kiki.blogspot.com/

from
http://www.gardening-kiki.blogspot.com/ :arrow:
Last edited by pimano on Mon May 07, 2007 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
pimano
Weeder

Postby jasalim » Sat May 05, 2007 11:29 am

I have a small pond in a half wine barrell (with a pre formed liner inside) with water lillies and clubrush as well as 3 comets to keep mossie larvae at bay
jasalim
Curator

Postby jack » Sat May 05, 2007 12:22 pm

in perth we have a few native fishes that are small which i can buy from a fish shop in meltham and order through one in midland. much hardier and not easy for birds to eat. depth is a problem i think the law is now anything over 300mm depth needs a pool fence to keep kids out or has to have a steel mesh over pond. i keep my ponds down around 150 to 200mm and keep rocks in their for kids to escape with and fish to hide under.
louisanna iris are just wonderful in ponds and so is duck weed. zeolite keeps down algae as well
jack
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Sat May 05, 2007 12:24 pm

My sister's dog has taken to drinking out of their water barrel pond.

It is amazing to see the fish dive as soon as they see the dog's face and paws! Who says fish only have a 5 second memory!
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby sarah_au » Sat May 05, 2007 5:52 pm

if you are planning to keep koi's then your pond needs to be aleast 5000L.
sarah_au
Head Gardener

Postby charlie_bruno » Sun May 06, 2007 8:47 pm

I have a small water feature, with no fish in it at this stage, what is recommended, id prefer natives, and where can I get them?
charlie_bruno
Senior Curator

Return to Water Gardens