Frog friendly pond

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Frog friendly pond

Postby Paddles » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:23 pm

Ok, the pond is finally nearly finished! Yippee! There are 2 ponds with a stream connecting them. Now the bottom pond (Large/deep) has fish in it, but for a bit of difference I was thinking of not putting fish into the top pond, and trying to encourage frogs to make thier home there. the water is moving, but not with a particularly strong current. at the moment there are no plants in the top pond. any suggestions as to what type of plants would encourage frogs? etc any other suggestions would be appreciated. i know that we have frogs (Or some sort of amphibian) because occasionally we will hear one, or find one in the pool. I would like them to take up residence in the pond.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow? Only to be troubled and insecure?
Paddles
Senior Curator

Postby midgin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi Paddles, we have frogs here... I always place a large rock of some sort in the pond to help them clamber out if need be (I read that somewhere) and lots of strappy type foliage overhanging the pond...(they like strappy f).
I have a few iris in pots, sunk in the pond (all you do it is plant the iris in a pot with normal potting mix, place a few inches of gravel on the top of the p. mix and gently lower the pot into the pond.) I am nearly sure they are Dutch Iris... shall post a pic very soon... as they are about to flower.

One of my pond rocks sprouted a tree fern on the top... it doesn't ever seem to grow (must be a bonsai treefern :wink: )... I think it absorbs moisture from the rock??
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Spider Lily » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:49 pm

I haven't had first hand experience but here are two sites that may help you Paddles:

http://www.cwmb.sa.gov.au/kwc/section3/3-07.htm

http://qldfrogs.asn.au/Garden/nativeplants.htm

We used the fact sheet on tadpoles at work last year when we had tadpoles and the kids got to see the tadpoles all the way through till they were frogs. We only lost a couple of tadpoles so we think we did well.

Would love to see a pic of your pond :D
Spider Lily
Gardening Sage

Postby midgin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Paddles, here is a pic of the the very unusual rock growing fern. I presume it is a tree fern :roll:
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Paddles » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:13 pm

Ok, I got some branches from a local gum (Pre fallen) and put them half in half out of the pond, with some rocks ancoring them into place. In the middle I put an upside down pot, with a large flat rock on top of it. I put a couple of plants (Not certain what sort they are yet) in the pond, and I'll plant the edge in a few weeks. (Money probs.) do you think that putting some water hycinth in would be a good thing? I notice that you have duckweed Midgin?
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow? Only to be troubled and insecure?
Paddles
Senior Curator

Postby midgin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:26 pm

sssshhhh... don't mention the duckweed... I will be run out of town by the noxious weed brigade. :roll:
Paddles, how deep is your pond? I can share some Iris.. PS you have to thin them out at times as they can spread.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Paddles » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:29 pm

I've got some iris midgin, thanks anyway. funnily enough the duck weed didn't survive the pond transfer. maybe it'll come back this summer? I have iris's lily's and water hycyinth. and somthing else that I'm waiting for it to flower so i can identify it, I suspect an iris. not certain tho, very thin leaves.
Paddles
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:35 pm

There are frog friendly native fish that'll keep the mossies under control.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Re: Frog friendly pond

Postby RIX » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:59 am

Sorry to dig up an old thread but i thought some might be interested in this.

http://frogs.org.au/x/media/BITG.pdf
RIX
Apprentice

Postby ColinM » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Hey Paddles :D

Yes! Let's see PICs of the ponds and stream - please! :mrgreen:

On attracting frogs - can't add any more than the experts have - just lot's of hidey structures as they suggest - plants or other objects like logs etc.
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby taffyman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:30 pm

Might have to shout a bit louder Colin - Paddles hasn't made a post since February 2008 :lol: :lol:
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:50 pm

taffyman wrote:Might have to shout a bit louder Colin - Paddles hasn't made a post since February 2008 :lol: :lol:

Damn I just noticed that. I was getting excited because I think Paddles was an old friend from another forum.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Return to Water Gardens