whats killing my water lily?

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

whats killing my water lily?

Postby Paddles » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:26 am

the leaves are going brown, from the outside in, no decernable eaten marks. no decernable bugs, how can I treat if it is bugs? (Goldfish in pond) to date, as soon as I notice a leaf going brown I remove it.

The fish seem abnormaly aggresive towards the lilys at the moment. there are other plants in the pond
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow? Only to be troubled and insecure?
Paddles
Senior Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:40 am

sorry, can't help. Don't know anything about water lilies. :oops:
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Ok, I was wrong

Postby Paddles » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:54 am

I now know what is wrong, I have snails, I need to know what to do to treat them?
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow? Only to be troubled and insecure?
Paddles
Senior Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:51 pm

I assume you mean water snails? I imagine an aquarium or pond retailer would know what to do.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:53 pm

Paddles, when was the last time they were repotted/fertilised? Advisable to do this every 2 years. It's been 3 years since I last did mine (was unable to do it last winter), they don't look as healthy as they used to.
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Re: Ok, I was wrong

Postby bubba louie » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:57 pm

Paddles wrote:I now know what is wrong, I have snails, I need to know what to do to treat them?

I thought that was a good thing in a pond.
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Re: Ok, I was wrong

Postby Comeilotei » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:03 pm

bubba louie wrote:
Paddles wrote:I now know what is wrong, I have snails, I need to know what to do to treat them?

I thought that was a good thing in a pond.

I too have snails in my pond, as far as I know they feed on algae (I could be wrong). Sometimes when the weather is hot I get black insects on my lily pads. I hose them off with water before they do any damage and the fishies eat them.
Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby Paddles » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:07 pm

the water lilys are new and young, and have not had a chance to come out of thier winter dormancy before this attack. from what I understand, snails aren't bad exactly, BUT if they don't have enough algae to eat, they eat the plants, and since the pond is fairly new, and it's eco-system is not yet established, I need to control the snails somehow. at least until until the plants are better established.
Paddles
Senior Curator

Postby tam » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:57 pm

Paddles are they in pots. If so lift them out, pick off any visible snails, and soak the plants in a condys crystals solution. Leave them in this for about 1/2 hr and it will kill any eggs. The eggs look like little blobs of clear jelly.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Waterlily » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:28 pm

I never kill pond snails if even I'll have 1000 of them. They are our helpers and "gardeners" in pond. They help to keep pond balance. Without snails pond could have local "wildlife" problem.
As your pond is new better leave it alone for sometime and let nature to create normal water life.
If you really have million of snails you can control them but a little. Put some lettuce in water because snails love it. After you can catch them easier.
Paddles, but don't forget plz pond snails are always for sale :) and people buy it for pond balance.
Better remove leaves you don't like and put some fertilizer. To feed water lilies better 2-3 times per year (I do it once at 3 months).
I don't think pond snails did this damage to leaves.
If you show me picture of leaves I could say you what is this.
Sometimes if you change level of water in pond leaves can be sick and change color.
Good luck Paddles.
Contact me before cutting, damaging or removing any PLANTS on your land.
Waterlily
Curator

Postby Comeilotei » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:39 am

I'm with Waterlily on the water snails, good to have them in the pond. :D
Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby tam » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:16 pm

Too many snails in a pond, and they will attack your plants Also, their waste will effect the water quality.
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Water Gardens