Hooray! Frogs!

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Re: Hooray! Frogs!

Postby Sam » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:24 am

Here's a link to one an old thread about frogs with great photos:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1498&p=8490&hilit=motorcycle#p8490

Also mentioned in this thread is the motorcycle frog - Jack has them (make sure you listen to its call) - the link is below in Lin's post. (Thanks Lin!!)
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Lin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:01 pm

That link you gave isn't working Sam. Try this one instead:
http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/frogwatch/p ... /sw/10.asp
Lin
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm

Thanks, Lin - I'll edit my other post. Cool sound, isn't it?
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Chrysanth » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks everyone for all the kind replies! I haven't been on the computer for a while and have just been catching up. Yes, they are Banjo frogs, the call is unmistakeable. They're big ones, about the limit for these frogs (9cm). Here are the eggs the day they were laid.

I ended up putting some of the eggs into the pot and leaving some. There are now very small tadpoles in both the pot and the pond. I think they would get through any gauge wire mesh, otherwise I might try that next time. I'd love a new pond, but have too much else to do at the moment. Maybe I'll try in winter. A frog pond would be great.
May all your weeds be wildflowers - Author unknown.
Chrysanth
Groundsperson

Postby Undergrounder » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:27 pm

I'd get some flyscreen and screen off a corner for the frogs and the tadpoles. The tadpoles may be able to get through while they're small, but at least they'll have a safehaven from the fish. This is what they suggest you do if your goldfish lay eggs so that the fish don't eat them or the fry.
Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby Chrysanth » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:43 pm

Undergrounder wrote:I'd get some flyscreen and screen off a corner for the frogs and the tadpoles. The tadpoles may be able to get through while they're small, but at least they'll have a safehaven from the fish. This is what they suggest you do if your goldfish lay eggs so that the fish don't eat them or the fry.

Sorry, yes, I get it now! Wasn't thinking :? - it doesn't matter if the tadpoles can get through as long as the fish can't. There are lots of taddies in the pot, getting bigger every day. Can't see any in the pond, but there's a lot of waterlily cover. Still, I think it might be too late for them.
So another question. There is a bit of algae in the pot and a water iris. Will there be enough food for the taddies or should I feed them? With what? Oh the responsibility ... :(
Chrysanth
Groundsperson

Postby guzzigirl » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:40 pm

you can feed taddies boiled lettuce and good quality fish flakes
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby oproudfoot » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:39 am

Hi Chrysanth, glad to hear there’s some banjo taddies growing by the day in the big pot  See below a pic I took of a banjo frog here in Melbourne at ‘Latrobe’, not far from my house. It’s under a ‘macrolepiota’ fungus, and it’s one of my favourite photos… Gotta’ love those banjo frogs …
Cheers, Owen

oproudfoot
Curator

Postby Chrysanth » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:42 pm

What a great picture! I fed the taddies some boiled lettuce and they are munching like crazy! It looks like there are at least thirty of them. Saw the male in the pond again today, but the night calling has stopped.
Chrysanth
Groundsperson

Postby Lets Plant » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Really great pics everyone. I wish I had some frogs in my pond. The only frogs I get are bufo toads (the giant toad) and they are poisonous to my dog and cat. So poisonous that death is very likely within a few hours. I think another pond is the answer too. Good luck!! :D
Lets Plant
Pruner

Postby Pam » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:19 pm

We had a very sad mishap here with the tadpoles yesterday. Our dam had filled overnight but a hole, about 6 inches had formed (fortunately near the top) and when I discovered it, water was bucketing out at a rate of knots. A couple of hours later I discovered that dozens and dozens and dozens of tadpoles had been washed out with it. I was surprised that they were still alive, and I salvaged those that I could but most had washed into the neighbours yard. :(
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby TasV » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:06 pm

We have frogs too :) AND taddies :) I dug a large pool in the creek running through the back paddock so it was deep and still and I saw taddies in it today. I get these guys on my windows EVERY night - hundreds of them...

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." -- Abraham Maslow
TasV
Gardening Sage

Postby Lin » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:46 am

Oh, he's cute TasV. And hundreds of them? You'd have a bit of a problem with sticky 'fingerprints' on the glass then :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:15 am

:roll: Sticky fingerprints! It's mainly the geckos that leave ours though.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby emilybronte » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:54 pm

In my place at Glebe it took years to get frogs established because of goldfish. I had goldfish there to eat the mozzie larvae but then i couldn't get them out. Everytime i thought i had got them all out, their babies would appear and so on.
Now I live out west and i have just heard my first local frog in the last week. And it seems to be in the pond with goldfish even though there are several water features without goldfish. I have one with guppies and another with ? but they look identical to guppies. Apparently guppies do not eat frog spawn.
Anyway I was really excited to find a green tree frog in my garden early summer but after some googling i found that it was probably a 'lost frog' that had found it's way down here via fruit from the tropics. It made an amazing sound when threatened by cats. More like a small mammal screaming so i rescued it several times from my cats after they had escaped at night. I haven't seen or heard it for ages now. :cry:
emilybronte
Pruner

Postby Wanderer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:03 pm

It's like frog city here. Lots and lots of lovely frogs!
We don't need to check our shoes for Funnel Web spiders here..........more than likely it's a frog you'll find in your shoe. And they scare the daylights out of you when they jump out too lol :shock:
Oh and lots of Gheckos too
Take my advice..... I don't use it anyway.
Wanderer
Curator

Postby grevs1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:10 pm

same here around bundy....
we are lucky to have many frogs.....especially in my shadehousethere are quite a variety of little tree frogs..some are brown with green dots or more green and yellow.....and yes they sure make ones heart stop when they jump on you...... :lol:
but i love them ..i just wish the big fat green one who lives in our bathroom would relocate.....they are hybernating still but am sure he will be back as soon as it gets warmer......i did put a dot of paint on him and took him to the dam..but no..2 days later he was back...... !!! :o .....oh well ! if he wouldn't make such a mess he could stay there....
i try not to spray with chemicals in the house..so we also have lots of little geckos around.....
and some tree snakes..but i like them and don't mind them hanging around !.........wish but ,the snakes would eat the awful canetoads, which we have lots of also unfortunately.....hmmmmm
IMG_2460.JPG
lovely little tree frog
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:45 pm

grevs1 wrote:they sure make ones heart stop when they jump on you...... :lol:

Too cute! I occasionally see some frogs in the garden. One day I'll establish a pond and hopefully get a frog habitat. There are roaming neighbourhood cats though and I might need to create a barrier around the pond. I bought an acacia brownii last spring and I think that species could do the job nicely. It grows to between 30cm and 1m and is prickly. I don't think the cats would try to go through it. Perhaps it's not the most natural choice of border plants around a pond though. Hmm - might need to ponder it for a while longer.

I got a Dianella revoluta from GE with the thought of using it as a border plant for a pond, but I still haven't planted it. I'm holding back because I visited a friend's garden and she had a fernery with a stream running through it. I have the perfect spot to do something similar, but it's a project that could set me back a couple $1,000. I just had solar panels installed, so it might be a while before I can scrounge up the money for a big garden project. The other location I'd picked to put my pond is in a remote corner of the garden and I'd need to draw a long extension lead to power pumps and filters. I'd rather think things through and do it right the first time...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

nfl jerseys china

Postby FrhjwIv2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:51 am

Other story lines to keep an eye on Sunday when the Broncos try to wrap up their fifth consecutive AFC West crown:,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping
"If you need any extra motivation,nhl jerseys outlet, shoot,Cheap Jerseys For Sale, in my mind it's,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, 'Let's not let Denver play another game at home this year. Let's make this be their last home game,Wholesale Authentic Jerseys,'" Philip Rivers said. "We know obviously what the game means to them and what the atmosphere's going to be like. We're going to get a playoff-type atmosphere even though it'll be the end of it for us."
FrhjwIv2
Groundsperson

Previous

Return to Water Gardens