Judging Criteria and Prizes

This Forum is dedicated to the Garden Express Spring Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Competition now closed.

Judging Criteria and Prizes

Postby ian » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:33 pm

The Garden Express Spring Garden Photo Competition is for the photographs of home gardens that have spring flowering bulbs on display.

Photos will preferably be of garden images rather than specimen shots of individual spring bulbs in flower. Photos should show what can be achieved using spring flowering bulbs to enhance a garden. The photos can incorporate plants used in pots or other containers, as well as in the garden.

Photos are not restricted to the range of spring bulbs available from Garden Express, though the inclusion of such bulbs will be a positive attribute.

One of the criteria is that the garden should be achievable to a typical Australian gardener without unreasonable effort or expertise or expenditure. Ideally the photo would inspire others to try similar ideas in their own garden.

First Prize is a Garden Express Voucher to the value of $200.

Second Prize is a Garden Express Voucher to the value of $60.

Closing date for entries is 28th October 2005
ian
Site Admin

Postby Pam » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:10 pm

A quick question for clarification, please, Ian.

Does the garden need to be predominantly Spring bulbs?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ian » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:27 pm

The objective is to showcase how spring bulbs can be used to good effect. Therefore, although it is not necessary for spring bulbs to predominate, it is likely that a photo with a variety of spring bulbs in it will achieve the objective more effectively than one with fewer in it.

I don't want to impose too many restrictions and discourage an otherwise splendid photo. :)
ian
Site Admin

Postby Pam » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:35 pm

Okay, gotcha! Thanks
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:59 pm

Ian - this is going to sound quite silly, but do we enter by posting onto this site or by e-mailing the photo to you? If by posting, is there any specifics - ie post on photobucket.com or the like?
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby ian » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:04 pm

The idea had been to post the entry directly to the relevant competition Forum but if anyone has a problem do that then I guess it is OK to email it to photos@gardenexpress.com.au . If it is emailed it just complicates putting it on the Forum since it won't be under the entrant's name :?

At the same time I don't want anyone to be discouraged from entering just because they have a problem posting directly themselves.
ian
Site Admin

Postby Pam » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:09 pm

If anyone has any difficulty with posting images, they have only to ask - it seems there's usually someone on board at most times these days. The benefit of photobucket is that it is so simple and straightforward.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:01 pm

I've got one slight problem with the 'garden' bit of this - I'm feeling the need to pick each bloom as it comes out, especially with the weather the way it's been in Melbourne (I'm sure I saved a dozen tulips and three anemomes from being blown to the compost heap!) And there is something wonderful about the colour and fragrance of fresh spring flowers brightening up the house!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:04 pm

he he That can be a problem!
Pam
Garden Wizard

my idea

Postby jack » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:46 pm

i am going to photograph a wildflower garden, IF i can meet ians needs. ie get the darn spring flowering bulbs to flower in spring and all on the same day/week. at the moment i get one daffodil a day open and then destroyed by the weather, if i can get half a dozen or better the majority of 500 dafs to open at same time on a sunny day, will then have a wonderful photo for this comp.
may actually do it in two parts, not sure, working on idea.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:58 pm

Now, who was it that mentioned the beauty of digital cameras... ?

Not that anybody here would use photoshop (or the like) to get everything flowering at once :o :-P
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:12 pm

Oops, sorry jack, just realised that I clicked a tongue-out thingo - got the wrong one. :oops:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:08 am

Oh, oh, no fair, Jack! Incorporating WA wildflowers in your shot would be akin to Marrion's perfect backdrop! :lol:

And here's me still trying to track down someone who has a reasonable planting of spring bulbs! The only decent spring bulb shot I could get here at my place would have a tin shed in the background. :cry:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Kerrie » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:25 am

Well then you could enter it in both competitions at once, Pam!

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:50 am

Yeah, right, Kerrie! The great Aussie icon - the tin shed! Very attractive, I'm sure. :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

wildflowers

Postby jack » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:29 am

the wildflowers i am using in this garden are of the non annual variety, the shrubs and groundcovers that tourist buses drive out to see rather than the field of everlasting look which is ever so brief.
so most of the shrubs where 10cm or less in height in april, some are now 60 to 80cm high, others are still around original height.
aim of bed is to have these plants in flower within 2 years and have the daffodils as the annual undercover flower.
below is a example of what i mean, to the front are two plants, the native is calytrix breviseta ssp breviseta, grows 40cm high 80cm wide, only found in perth wetlands and is listed as critically endangered. i have planted this with freesia, blood grass and kangaroo paws next to my pond and on the edge of the overfill floodway. its loving its spot now been their 5 months, it flowers purplish blue flowers in sept/oct but not sure how many winters before this happens, the freesia variety is a single red and the kangaroo paws are green in the front and red varietys further into the bed. so will be a nice garden in a spring or two.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/jackbeltane/frog.jpg
jack
Head Curator

wildflowers

Postby jack » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:48 am

the wildflowers i am using in this garden are of the non annual variety, I prefer the shrubs and groundcovers that tourist buses drive out to see rather than the field of everlasting look which is ever so brief.
so most of the shrubs were 10cm or less in height in april, some are now 60 to 80cm high, others are still around original height.
aim of bed is to have these plants in flower within 2 years and have the daffodils as the annual undercover flower.
below is a example of what i mean, to the front are two plants, the native is calytrix breviseta ssp breviseta, grows 40cm high 80cm wide, only found in perth wetlands and is listed as critically endangered (purchased from kings park botanic gardens). i have planted this with freesia, blood grass and kangaroo paws next to my pond and on the edge of the overfill floodway. its loving its spot now been their 5 months, it flowers purplish blue flowers in sept/oct but not sure how many winters before this happens, the freesia variety is a single red and the kangaroo paws are green in the front and red varietys further into the bed. so will be a nice garden in a spring or two.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:05 pm

Jack, the textures and colours in that photo are wonderful (Y) , will look forward to seeing the end result.
Marrion

Postby Marrion » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:29 pm

Pam don't despair, I am going to post a photo of my tin shed when there are some flowers out near it, stick some pots etc in front of yours and take a photo.
Marrion

Postby Pam » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:29 am

Marrion, I have a GREAT shed lined up to photograph. It doesn't quite fit the 'Australian' criteria (yet :wink: ) but I just know you'll all love it, if I can get my photos to do it justice.

Everywhere I drive now I'm on the lookout for sheds, but I never seem to remember to take the camera. :(
Pam
Garden Wizard

Next

Return to Spring 2005 Garden Photo Competition