Spring in the West part one

This Forum is dedicated to the Garden Express Spring Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Competition now closed.

Spring in the West part one

Postby jack » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:14 am

my first spring flower show, been going since july 30.
okay re done this post, starting with photos from pre may 2004 (around april 2004) taken for the old owner to sell this place, we moved in may 19 2004 to a sand pit with a 40 year old home on it.
next photo is from june 2004, three weeks after we moved in, shows the corner yard where daffodils and wildflower shrubs are now.
under each photo will put a explanation/ date:
this is november 6 2004, daughter angel helping me, note mandatory beer/ shovel are on hand.
next series of photos from august 18 2005, the reddish stick in the photo is the japanes maple, to the rear you can see a flax and a duranta repens goldmine.
in this photo you can see freesia to the left and ranunculi to the right. heaps of variegated grass in the bed, to the rear along house wall is society garilic, muscari, ranunculi and the sticks their are some of my roses.
around the side of the bed, more muscari in flower, freesia, ranunculi are the other bulbs here. encircling them in the spillway or dry creek is the anigozanthos viridis (green kangaroo paw) note its different leave form compared to the standard manglessi paws (red kangaroo paw) which in this photo are the dry flowers hovering over the dianella which is on the top bank of the pond. the stick in this photo is a chinese tallow tree. Also where angel stood in fourth photo is where the green kangaroo paws are and i was kneeling roughly where the muscari is in this photo.
This photo and the next show angel at work on august 22 2005, its so important to me that she is introduced first to the garden lifestyle and not to the tv couch lifestyle.
this photo and next are from august 24 2005, this is the front corner yard, where the wildflower shrubs are growing, the daffodils are flowering and with storms due i thought to photo them fast.
Last edited by jack on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
jack
Head Curator

Postby ian » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:47 pm

I can see you are a well prepared gardener - you have the beer ready for the snail trap to protect the kangaroo paws (the stubby holder is a good tip to ensure the snails like the beer) :wink:

Its good seeing the progress over time. :D
ian
Site Admin

Postby Pam » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:51 am

Looking good, Jack!
Pam
Garden Wizard

more pics

Postby jack » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:16 pm

have put more pics online. am just editing the original post and adding them to it, saves me having dozens of posts for the same garden.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:50 pm

There's some great colour happening, jack - very nice :)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:54 pm

You have done so much work, Jack, in such a short time. Well done!
Marrion

wildflower

Postby jack » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:59 pm

my first wildflower shrub is in heavy bud at the moment, it is the Alyogyne hakeifolia yellow form, one which is seen by tourists who visit the geraldton to jurien bay wildflower areas. but it grows pretty much anywhere in w.a that has 400mm or so of rain. The purple form is sold around australia as the melissa anne (Alyogyne huegelii) and they are both hardy plants worth a spot in anyones garden.
its surround by my daffodils and hopefully the two can stay in bloom at same time, but we have thunder and rain forecast so not expecting much endurance from the daffodils.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:02 pm

Weather is not a kind thing sometimes!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

dont mind the rain

Postby jack » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:29 pm

cant complain, we all need the rain in moderation of course.
with the Alyogyne huegellii that i mentioned before, just sitting down tonight reading the september burkes mag and its on page 64, with a section on wa wildflowers. i have the cousin to the plant, a yellow version Alyogyne hakeifolia from north and east of perth, as i said earlier i am praying for it to open soon, have had flushes of flowers since june, it just seems to flower like mad, then go to sleep for a few weeks of cold weather then flower like mad again.
jack
Head Curator

more pics

Postby jack » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:08 pm

added some more pics, rain did not come today so snapping shots while i can.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:21 am

I love Hyacinths, the perfume is so nice, will you lift it or leave it for next year? Your bulbs are looking great, Jack, they look so welcoming. (Y)
Marrion

last year

Postby jack » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:39 pm

planted the hyacinths last winter, it only produced leaves last winter, left it in the ground undisturbed for this season and now had two flowers appear. i dont lift any of my bulbs unless they are in danger of death from my expanding garden/shovel.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:07 am

I had no success at all with my anemones. I suspect a residual poison may have been used in the area at some time. :(
Pam
Garden Wizard

more pics

Postby jack » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:42 pm

added more pictures from a lovely 24 degree september day. are from around the pond.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:00 pm

That pond area is looking great, Jack!

Can I suggest you post any further pics in another post, though? It's taking a while to load, even on broadband.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:40 pm

It looks good, Jack, the contrast of grey foliage with the freesias is really nice. (Y)
Marrion

Return to Spring 2005 Garden Photo Competition