First bluebells

This Forum is dedicated to the Garden Express Spring Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Competition now closed.

First bluebells

Postby Luzy » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:23 pm

The first bluebells are just starting to show in among the flame pea :)

:wink:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

nice

Postby jack » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:43 pm

is looking good, glad to know that victorians are getting bulbs in bloom now. i like the combination you have used as well.
jack
Head Curator

Postby Lea » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:52 pm

The pink and orange flame pea flowers are absolutely gorgeous, Luzy (Y) - the bluebells look great against them 8)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:13 am

Those Flame Peas make a stunning background for chunky plants, Luzy, are they perennial? I really would like to try some of them. Will look forward to another photo when the Bluebells are out .
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:52 pm

Wow, that's nice that you'd like to see more Marrion... :D I'm presuming that it is perennial - I got it in February (impulse buy, couldn't resist the pic and the two or three blooms that were out) and, so far, it seems to like it here, including the shade and clay. Hasn't checked itself at all. I must have a look and see what it's all doing tomorrow - if it isn't blowing a gale again :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:00 pm

Couldn't resist this - that little fellow was really cooperative. When he went into the bluebells he really went in, with only his back feet showing! The second pic is typical of my garden - messy! :lol:

:D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:28 pm

I love your first shot, Luzy, its a wonderful photo (Y) (Y)
What a show that Flame Pea makes, do you know its botanical name and did you buy the seeds or as a plant?
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:25 pm

Hi Marrion,

Thanks for asking about the flame pea - I've had a great time finding out more about it, including getting out the bag of tags that I have (that was scary :shock: How many plants have I bought over the last two years? :shock: :shock: I did not count them, though it might be fun to see how many I've lost/haven't done well/etc).

Anyway, the flame pea is Chorizema cordatum. The tag says: "Heart leaf flame pea, flowers during winter, spring, autumn, evergreen, shade to part shade, moist well drained ( :lol: ) soil, prune after flowering to maintain compact growth, 1 to 2 metres high and wide."

My 1983 Yates Guide says: "Compact small shrub (one metre high and wide) flowers in winter and spring, temperate climate, well drained soil, plenty of water in winter."

My 1956 gardening encyclopedia says: "Hardy little native shrub, fills an odd sunny corner splendidly, blooms in spring, plany anytime in all but coldest climates." But the bit I most love from that book is the common name is Dancing-for-Joy!! :D 8)

I bought it as a plant in Feb and it hasn't looked back - in shade, clay and under the eaves...

It's actually really leathery and still but I guess I will have to prune it - not yet though as it seems as though it could be producing some seed pods - I'll keep my eye on it! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:49 am

Thanks for the info, Luzy. I wonder if it would grow here, I am in a frost-free area so it should be OK. I have searched for some seeds in the nurseries and now have looked online but haven't been able to locate any, so will hope yours set seed and I can beg for some from you :lol: Its interesting that it's happy in clay as I believe its a native plant, suits me though as our soil is also clay based.
I have a box full of labels too and wouldn't dare count them either :lol:
My bluebells are just coming into flower, I wish they would flower at the same time as the daffodils as they would look nice together, will have to consider some Muscari for next season to mingle with them :-?
I will be collecting some seeds from my Marsh Marigold soon as I promised some to a lady in SA, so if you would like to do a swap would be quite happy to send you some. Send me a PM if you would like me to save some for you.
Marrion

Return to Spring 2005 Garden Photo Competition