Spring Border

This Forum is dedicated to the Garden Express Spring Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Competition now closed.

Spring Border

Postby Marrion » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:44 pm

The border is beginning to look pretty, will look better when the seedlings (annuals) have grown and flowered.

Marrion

Postby Luzy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:46 pm

Yup, that is just great Marrion. I just love seeing your garden. Great colours, too! :D :D (how do you not pick them for inside, though?)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:59 pm

I reluctantly pick some bulbs, Luzy :lol: can never bring myself to pick the Tulips. I have a little patch at the end of my Herb bed that I grow cutting flowers, at the moment I am cutting Iceland Poppies, they look so nice in a specimen vase. Think I will buy a cheap mix of Tulips next year just for the vase.
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:09 pm

Must admit that I buy tulips with the notion that it'll be a great bunch of flowers, though I got a second year's flowering from my first purchase - I was very impressed. 8) Do you leave your tulips in the ground over summer? And poppies are just so lovely, too. I've got a couple of Flanders growing - but still a long way off for flowering (do you burn the ends of your poppies to make them last longer?)

Your border is beautiful - with so many things already making a show it'll be sensational soon! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:20 pm

I usually lift my Tulips, Luzy, but I left my yellow ones in the ground because they didn't perform very well last year, and wouldn't you know, they were the most impressive this year :-?
I have found that the decorative Tulips don't seem to carry over for another year so well, although I bought Weber's Parrot last year (see link) and they muliplied very well, howeve this year they are just stunted little tulips in the pot, will keep them and see if they are better next year (we had an exceptionally warm winter this year).
http://www.pbase.com/marrion/image/35032288
I still have a few Rococo tulips that I tossed into my herb bed and they seem to come up but not as impressive as their first year.
I also bought the Blue Parrot tulips from GE this year and they are still only 6" high in the pot and don't seem to be doing anything either :(
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:30 pm

Wow! Those Weber's Parrots are wild! I guess it's all a plant-it-and-see, but that's good fun :) The re-show I had I had lifted and refrigerated and so on - they flowered really early and were, realistically, stunted, but that's okay as I had some picking blooms in July! My this year's "bunch" I'll also lift, store etc. Be interesting to see what happens with both these lots. It's good having things that make you think and wonderful (and curse and the rest of it) :lol:
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:57 am

I too am going to try an experiment with my tulips next season, Luzy. A lady on a Rose Forum grows tulips and always puts hers in the fridge and seems to get great results. I was told by a local grower that doing this would retard the next season's flowering, we hear so many conflicting ideas that it can be confusing, so I am going to put half of my Pink Impression tulips in the fridge and leave the others in my shed, it will be interesting to see if there's a difference in performance :-?
I don't burn the end of my poppies, they seem to last OK but have only put the Icelandic ones in a vase, have some in a vase at the moment that have been there for almost a week.
Marrion

Postby Lea » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:16 pm

Beautiful photo, Marrion - yes, the colours you've chosen are lovely together (Y) Your edges are so well-kept - ours are messier :lol:

Luzy and Marrion, interesting discussion about the best ways to get tulips to reflower, too - we've had some "Baby Doll" pink and white tulips in one particular spot for years now, and they always reflower every season, amazingly 8) Most of the tulips we've tried to naturalise just put up leaves each year but no buds. I know that we might get better results if we lift them each year, but I've also tried that and found that they didn't reflower anyway ;) Marrion, I look forward to you testing these two treatments of bulbs with the one cultivar, so that you can really compare (Y)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Return to Spring 2005 Garden Photo Competition