Our Garden

This Forum is dedicated to the Garden Express Spring Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Competition now closed.

Our Garden

Postby Lea » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:42 pm

An overview :D From left to right, you can see our "Apotheose alcove" at far left, then our Babianas and Freesias and "Lemon Beauties", the mixed double daffodils we have sprinkled around ... amongst others 8)

"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Marrion » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:38 am

It looks very restful, Lea, I love those white bushes, white plants always seem to add serenity to a garden during the day and sparkle at night.
Marrion

Postby Luzy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:50 pm

These shots are really lovely Lea - my favorite would be the first one where you're kind of looking across your cherub/bunny. The colour of the Apotheose (had to watch how to spell that one...) is nice and intense, yet blends well. (Y)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:49 am

It really is lovely, Lea, though the identity of that green plant in the foreground has me a little baffled! :lol:

I'm with Marrion on the white shrubs. They really do add a special touch, don't they?! Lea, may I ask what the first and third from the gate are?

I love your use of the borrowed landscape. Is it someone else's garden, or bushland?
Last edited by Pam on Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Lea » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:02 pm

Thanks, Marrion, Luzy, Pam :D

I thought you might be interested in seeing what our garden looked like four years ago when we moved in ... the photo on the left is when we began working on it - that corner was completely bare when we first got there, and those small plants you see are all planted by us ;) And the photo on the right was the estate agents' photo ... you can see the sole bushes that were already there ;)

Image Image

Luzy, that one you mentioned is my favourite photo of these, too ;) Thank you :D Yes, I've noticed my typing slowing down every time I have to spell "Apotheose" :lol:

Yes, Marrion and Pam, I love the way white flowers draw the eye, especially at this time of year ;) Do you mean first and third from the gate on the right? The third from the gate is a Pink Diosma - this was here when we moved in (you can see it in the four year old photo above) but we planted another one in the back right-hand corner (look closer ;) ) And the flat, spreading white-flowered shrub next to the gate? We don't know what this is called - but we'd like to know - I like the way it spreads but doesn't grow in height, and the white flowers are so thick that they look like snow ;) Its flowers and leaves are waxy and quite hard, so I'm guessing it might be Australian? Any suggestions?

The plant in the foreground on the left, Pam? It's a Variagated Pittosporum that we planted - we intend to shape it so that we can eventually sit underneath it, a sort of natural verandah ;) Or you might mean the leaves on the very left, in front of the Pittosporum, there's a large pink camellia, and you can just see a couple of its branches 8)

Yes, Pam, we're lucky enough to back onto National Forest and a creek which runs along just the other side of our fence, too (Y)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:11 pm

The plant in the foreground on the left, Pam?

No, the green stuff the headless person at the bottom is standing upon! :lol:

We haven't seen it for a while around here, rain is desperately needed, in moderation, of course!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Lea » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:24 pm

;) What I meant, Pam, was - I wasn't sure whether you meant the new plants in the centre foreground, or at the left of the photos - the camellia leaves you can just see? Or the Variagated Pittosporum? And I thought you'd know that one ;)

:o And he's not headless ... you don't see all, that's all :lol:
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:01 pm

The funny thing is, now that you point out that one of the plants on the fence is diosma, it is clearly pink (at least in one of the shots) :roll: . :lol:

The white one right beside the gate, could you get a closer shot of it? Between us here we should be able to nut it out!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:06 pm

What a difference! Can certainly see lots of hard work there! 8) You've used the forest to a wonderful effect... :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Lea » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:51 pm

Thanks, Luzy, for your compliments :D We've done a lot, true, but it doesn't seem like work, does it? Something creative like gardening is such a joy because you just get so into it, don't you, you just forget the past and the future and really enjoy the moment (Y) Thanks for your compliment on the forest, too ;) but it kind of gives itself as the wonderful effect that it is ... we can't really take credit for it :lol: I never thought we'd be lucky enough to live in a place that backed onto beautiful land like this 8)

Yes, Pam, I'll do that for you when I get around to it ;)
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:53 am

I bet you have lots of birdlife in your garden, Lea, with the bushland so close by, and plenty of birdbaths scattered around the place?

We currently have crows (of all things :( ) nesting in the top of our leopard tree at the back. They're not exactly my favourite bird. I found one about a week ago having killed a rainbow lorikeet, in the process of devouring it. I know we're not supposed to interfere, but I couldn't help but to chase away the crow and give the poor thing a decent burial.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:59 am

Normally I would agree with you about the crows, Pam, but at the moment we have hundreds here and welcome them because our paddocks have been devasted by Cockchafer grubs this year (due to the drought), since we have sprayed for the grubs the crows have moved in and are gorging themselves! Its unfortunate that they can't reach the grubs before they are sprayed :( Have posted a photo on the Gallery.
Marrion

Postby Herby » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:13 pm

Yeah they are nice pics, your real lucky to have a nice backdrop of trees and all
if it was closer to the city we'd prolly be looking at a bp service station :roll: :D

great to see the before and after, my it's come a log way (Y) :)
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Lea » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:46 pm

Thank you, Pam, Marrion, Ben :D I appreciate your comments on the before and after pics, because we are proud of how much we've created and nurtured it all ;) Thank you :D

Especially, Ben, since we've lived in the very-inner-city for the past fifteen years, so I really relate to what you say about BP service stations :lol:

Yes, Pam and Marrion, we are still thrilled by all the wildlife here, both birdlife and mammals and frogs and lizards too 8) And we really encourage them, always leave water out (the marsupials appreciate a drink from the birdbaths in the summertime, too) and feed the birds, both with seed and fruit, and also with nectar-producing plants - grevilleas, callistemons, mallaleucas, eucalypts, banksias, and even the abutilon chinese lanterns which the birds eat the nectar from :D It's great 8)

However, I also relate to what you say about your "crows" - they're probably Australian Ravens - most people mistakenly call them crows - but there's five species of Australian Ravens ;) I relate to what you say about predator birds, though, Pam :( We have a lot of doves around our garden, including the Australian Crested Doves ... we were nursing a young dove who'd just left the nest and been deserted, who we kept an eye on as he continued to hang around with his flock ... until we found him dead in the beak of a Butcherbird :( The Butcherbird dropped the poor little thing in our backyard, and we gave the poor little one a decent burial too, as you said :( Of course we can't be too hard on the Butcherbird, especially since he's indigenous ... though whether an animal is indigenous or not is really no excuse to demonise animals now, after they've amalgamated into the ecosystem, of course. We also have Aust. Kestrels and occasionally eagles here, too :shock:

I'm very impressed with the ravens eating the cockchafer grubs, though, Marrion - that's fantastic for them and for you (Y)
Lea
Head Curator

Return to Spring 2005 Garden Photo Competition