Kitkat's Korner

This Forum is dedicated to the Garden Express Spring Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Competition now closed.

Kitkat's Korner

Postby kitkat » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:53 pm

Just a couple of shots of my bulb corner.They are growing in an old cement trough by my front door.The Spring Stars are on the steps nearby.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Luzy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:26 pm

Wow kitkat! You've made it all look so lush! Wonderful. :D The spring star pots look absolutely sensational - jade plant is a great touch. (Y) (Y) :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Herby » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:43 pm

yeah them spring stars are a smash!
great picture too!
Herby
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:08 am

There's always something special about a lushly planted urn, isn't there?! And I just love Spring Stars - they're such tough, giving little performers! I must check whether they're suitable for our climate and perhaps get some for next year.

Thanks for the pics, Kitkat.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:39 am

They look lovely, Kitkat, (Y) (Y)
I am a fan of potted plants and especially love urns, I have been searching for one this last week as one I bought in the NW of the state last year hadn't been fired properly and fell to bits in the last rain we had, I was very annoyed as it was an expensive pot :evil:
I always think that potted flowers at the front door say "Welcome" and yours certainly do. (Y)
Is that a Forget-me-not next to the Freesias?
Marrion

Postby kitkat » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:47 pm

Thank you for your kind comment...the urns are actually plastic and are over 15 years old ...but they look the part on the steps.I have some petunias in terracotta pots below them that are just coming in now so soon the stars will be gone and petunias will step in.
The blue flower with the freesia is a muscari ...I was a bit close and the pic blurred.I actually want some Forget-me-not but can't find seed anywhere..just the Chinese one but its the old traditional self sower that I want to scatter amongst my shrub border outside the kitchenand bathroom where the grey water goes..they will like the damp there...I have violets there doing well...it faces East so only gets morning sun.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:33 pm

I bought in the NW of the state last year hadn't been fired properly and fell to bits in the last rain we had, I was very annoyed as it was an expensive pot

I find it extremely difficult to get decent terracotta pots these days, Marrion It doesn't seem to matter what you spend on them, they all seem to want to crumble. I've taken to sealing all of them before I use them - shouldn't have to, but it seems the only way to get them to last even a season.

I always keep an eye out at demolition yards and the like for the really old ones. They must have been cooked differently or something, but they'll probably last another gazillion years. They sure can be heavy little suckers, though!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:54 pm

I have heaps and heaps of Forget-me-nots. I wonder if they have seed :-? Will check tomorrow, I pulled out lots today, they were actually burying my fuschias :lol: They do look pretty when they flower en masse and are good fillers. Have posted a photo on the Gallery that shows them in the foreground. :) If I can't get seeds for you, check the nurseries they often have punnets of seedlings.
Marrion

Postby Sam » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:59 am

We have a marvellous shop/outlet near the Caboolture markets on a Sunday. They make pots, ornaments, statues, fountains etc for export from reconstituted marble - some have a powder added for a terracotta look. We find we like the plain gray variety. If anyone is coming our way, let me know and I'll take you out there. We started buying the pots and now have a table and chairs (downstairs - I think our deck would have fallen off under the weight - anyway, took three guys to lift the table supports!).

Sam
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:10 am

We started buying the pots and now have a table and chairs

Pictures please!?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Marrion » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:44 am

I tried all the tip shops etc. looking for a suitable pot but couldn't find what I wanted. Am going to try sponging one of my old terracotta pots with some grey paint to get the look I want. (yn) if that works will buy a nice terracotta pot - there is a nice shop in Hobart that has a good range of them at reasonable prices.
I must say this is the first pot that has crumbled for me so I may have been lucky.
Marrion

Postby Marrion » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:48 pm

I actually want some Forget-me-not but can't find seed anywhere..just the Chinese one but its the old traditional self sower that I want to scatter amongst my shrub border outside the kitchenand bathroom where the grey water goes

Had a look for seeds today, did manage to get a few but the flowers are not quite mature enough, will persevere and let you know when I have enough to send you.
Marrion

Postby kitkat » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:56 pm

Thanks Marrion that is kind of you ...I treasure my garden 'gifts' and prefer cuttings and seeds from gardening friends to just old brought ones...though believe me I have plenty of those too! LOL :D

Re terracotta pots crumbling...it is because they are underfired ....if you can get to Melbourne's original terracotta factory they are reknown for well fired pots ...Northcote Pottery is the name.Not expensive but well fired on the premises...they also supply clay and glazes so you could make your own :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!

terracotta is traditionally porous so they really need sealing on the inside if you don't want them to dry out too fast ......wind can slurp the liquid out of terracotta in an hour and the plants suffer badly.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:51 pm

Okay, Pam - here goes!

Our birdbath, with Titania sitting on top - actually an engagement present.

I've got to get better at this photobucket thing - it seems to be taking ages to upload the images.
Last edited by Sam on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:53 pm

Wow ..I see why you had to have them downstairs and needed help to lift them. Titania is the irish Queen of fairies so her name is perfect...she looks so happy dancing on the birdbath.

It all makes me want to start on my strawbale seat....but I must finish the new henouse first.A summer job maybe....though even now the flies are very bad outside ...the old 'barcoo' salute is working overtime here. My neighbour has his sheep right beside my house and millions of flies everywhere.....it's not safe to yawn or blink at the moment or you may get an unwanted visitor internally.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:08 pm

Titania is very pretty and delicate-looking! Gosh, Sam, lifting those would sure improve your muscle tone. :)

A straw bale seat ............ hmmmm, I wonder if I could use sugar can mulch?! :-? Trouble is, it doesn't seem to be very tightly packed, so may not take too well to being chain sawn - will have to look into it.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:11 pm

Pam....Do they bale sugar cane mulch? You do need firm bales to build with .
I have the plans to build a studio of strawbales but decided to try first with a nice garden seat...just to get the 'feel' for it .

Today lots of alternative building materials are being tried and many work well ..tyre houses, mud brick,rammed earth,sand bag building , bags of soil rendered over and of course straw bale which has actually been around for many many years ..they say 100years in USA but there are strawbale houses in suburban Melbourne that were built in the 1930s and still going strong.
Here in the Wimmera we have mud brick houses still standing after 150 years and also thatched roofed pole sheds for the draught horses ...my neighbour has one that had 16 stalls for draught horses in it and still has the central hollow log that they ate out of,it runs right down the centre of the thatched shed, there are still harnesses hanging on the log joists too...it's Heaven for an artist to paint there.
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:44 pm

I didn't realise that Titania came from Ireland- very appropriate with my ancestry. I just named her after "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

Here's a picture of our fountain. It was originally hanging upstairs on our deck - I got a big shock one day to come home to find that my husband had moved it downstairs. He had to get up a ladder to get it down and them back up to where it is - I couldn't believe he hadn't had a hernia or permanant damage to most of his muscles!

Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:46 pm

Marrion - thanks for your help with the resizing software - I think you need to post detailed instructions on the gallery forum on how to resize and upload photos!

Sam
Sam
Garden Wizard

Return to Spring 2005 Garden Photo Competition