Stormy Weather Suggestions

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Stormy Weather Suggestions

Postby Sam » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:40 am

If you have any suggestions, please post them here. Doesn't matter how 'obvious' you might think they are, others may not have thought of them.

I read a hint that suggested keeping solar lights charged to bring inside during blackouts. Alas, we started charging ours on Sunday so they weren't ready, but are being done now, just in case. Would have made life easier with the kids to be able to put a light in each of their rooms - they sure weren't getting candles.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Re: Stormy Weather Suggestions

Postby guzzigirl » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:48 am

LPG or butane run lights, heaters and stoves can be obtained from hardware, camping and surplus stores.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:56 am

That's really a brilliant suggestion Sam.

Dynamo torches and radios don't require batteries to run, so might be handy to pick up when they're reasonably priced.

It's probably wise to keep a roll of masking tape on hand for the windows in windy situations too I guess.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:57 am

guzzigirl wrote:LPG or butane run lights, heaters and stoves can be obtained from hardware, camping and surplus stores.

And the refills can vary greatly in price, so be wary of those who might be charging nearly double what others are.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:15 am

Always handy to have a few extra tins of food on hand (Y)
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:22 am

We have a gas stove, kero lamps and candles. Don't need heaters here Thee but if someone invented a battery run aircon.... :lol:
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:28 am

Mosquitoes can be a problem after wet periods too, so it's probably wise to have some sort of insect repellant on hand too.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby belladonna » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:30 pm

toilet paper ,bread and uht milk ,you'd be surprised what runs out in a storm.
The glory of the garden: hands in the dirt,
head in the sun,heart with nature.
To nurture a garden is to feed
not just the body ,but the soul.
Alfred Austin 1835-1913
belladonna
Senior Curator

Postby midgin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:44 pm

A transistor for keeping up to speed with news reports...a mobile phone for any emergency call...numbers of emergency services (fire/police/ambulance/SES etc) loaded into mobile phone.....non- perishable foods(as prev. suggested)... good thinking, Sam...it's always best to be prepared beforehand.
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:47 pm

Pam wrote:It's probably wise to keep a roll of masking tape on hand for the windows in windy situations too I guess.

I love that idea - I'm making sure we have some for the weekend.

Have bought a transistor that takes the rechargable batteries - so last night I actually had the solar lights glowing and the radio ready. Which guaranteed only getting very little rain! But it feels good to be prepared.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:30 am

Just found out about this:

Australian Early-Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au/

As not everyone listens to radio the Early Warning Network, based in Tweed Heads, has set up a free email and SMS alert for severe weather warnings.

The Managing Director, Kerry Plowright, says there was a need to deliver alerts direct to people a many emergencies - including storms and flooding - can happen any time of the day or night. "People can't sit in front of a computer or listen to the radio all day to find out what the weather is going to do. They find it easier to get the information from us."

The network has developed new mapping technology that can target warnings to the home location of register users, with plans in the New Year to extend that to a roaming profile for when people travel.

Membership has soared since the November storms which pounded Brisbane. And it is FREE!! I believe it doesn't cover WA yet - check the website for more details.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby brill » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Switch off appliances and pull plugs out of wall -computer, TV, airconditioners, phone line etc. I lost my computer, phone, airconditioner and lamps through lightning - AGAIN! (not the TV this time). My computer man says to move them away from the power point because he has seen lightning jump from the point to an appliance.
Brill
brill
Senior Curator

Postby taffyman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:18 pm

That's excellent advice Brill (Y) I always pull my computer plugs out - and my modem cable when there are thunderstorms in our area, My computer is at least 1 1/2 metres from the wall socket on the other side of my desk.

Don't forget the modem cable that plugs into the phone line. A lightning strike on the phone line can still travel through your modem and into your computer.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby brill » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:22 am

tell me about it! I lost my modem too - the second time in 2 months
Brill
brill
Senior Curator

Postby louiseds » Wed May 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi All

This is probably a bit late for summer storms, and it might take some time to organise but it is only one Faultline call to request it.

We have in the past lost a telephone, modem and computer in one hit, as a result of lightning travelling through our copper phone cable. Presumably some Telstra facility, an aerial or something copped a hit and spread it to subscribers.

Telstra has a well-kept secret (well, maybe not so well kept now!). You can request to have an earth fixed to your telephone landline. It costs zero, and has now saved us from destroying telephones, modems and computers, then having to get it all fixed and put in a claim to Telstra.

They come and join an earth cable in to the cable before it goes inside your house, and joining the other end to a big copper pipe they hammer into the ground next to the house, which will send any lightning into the ground, rather than your elecronic gizmos inside the house.

Cheers

Louise
louiseds
Propagator

Postby Sam » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:49 pm

When we got our new hot water system installed, our electrician noticed that our surge protector in the fuse box was, shall we say, stuffed.

He said it would have had more than one hit in storms and that each time its affect is lessened.

Then added that after each storm, you should check it. If it isn't green it isn't any good.

Wish I'd known earlier!
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Damien » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 am

This will sound really nerdy, but its early in the morning so meh.

If you can, have an old telstra phone stored away in case of a black out. Someone suggested mobile phone but they can go flat :) If you have a portable phone it wont work during a blackout thanks to it running off a power supply. However a standard telstra supplied phone (aka one that just plugs into the phone outlet and nothing else) is actually powered by the phone line so you can still make calls. Lucky im a hoarder, i remember living at home, we had a long blackout and the portable obviously didnt work, mobiles running out, dug up the old phone, plugged it in and called the power company to find out what was going on. ;) handy.

Also we keep small high brightness torches in handbags (well not me The Boss) as they are efficient, bright and tiny. :)

But all in all, use the time to light some candles and stare at your wife or husband. (You wouldnt want to talk to each other heaven forbid thats how you got in this mess in the first place! lol)

Damien
"oh that says plant one metre apart... oh i see..."
Damien
Head Curator

Postby Kieran F » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:31 am

Put a few bags of water in the fridge (as many as you can fit), when the power goes out, they will take days to melt, and they will keep the perishables cool
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby Sam » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Sam wrote:Just found out about this:

Australian Early-Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au/

As not everyone listens to radio the Early Warning Network, based in Tweed Heads, has set up a free email and SMS alert for severe weather warnings.

The Managing Director, Kerry Plowright, says there was a need to deliver alerts direct to people a many emergencies - including storms and flooding - can happen any time of the day or night. "People can't sit in front of a computer or listen to the radio all day to find out what the weather is going to do. They find it easier to get the information from us."

The network has developed new mapping technology that can target warnings to the home location of register users, with plans in the New Year to extend that to a roaming profile for when people travel.

Membership has soared since the November storms which pounded Brisbane. And it is FREE!! I believe it doesn't cover WA yet - check the website for more details.

Have just had an update for EWN. They are now covering bushfire alerts in Victoria and police alerts in NSW.

If you registered a while ago, you might need to re-register to put in a password etc., but could be well worth it. Seems to be in beta stage at the moment, but some of our members in Victoria could be very helpful with that.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Brian's just bought a jump starter for the cars, mainly because we realised we had no jumper cables (good time to realise, Christmas Day, about to go out). We went for this option so that if only one if us is home we don't have to worry about having another car to jump from (I'd just call RACQ, personally).

We've a good look over it and it can also be used to charge mobile phones and other devices and also has an emergency light.

Friends of ours lost power for 4 days during storms last year and found they couldn't even charge the mobiles so thought this might be useful.

Cost $60 at Autobahn. Sale finishes Sunday 10th.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Next

Return to Garden Log