Good Morning..any special plans for today?

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Re: Good Morning..any special plans for today?

Postby Pam » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:36 am

There you are Grasshopper. I was wondering where you'd gotten to. :)
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:59 am

Hi Pam--just lost a lot when my hard drive died--hows are you and hows everything been here too?
Grasshopper
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Tomorrow I am going to move the rocks for my waterfall and reinstall the pond liner at my little villa in Saudi and get a new pump.I think that will just about do me for the day .LOL I just arrived back in Saudi on Monday LOL.
Will be back home in Oz pretty soon though- my new garden calls me.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:33 pm

HA - the best laid plans etc etc-- fell over on the path outfront yesterday ( it was soo easy - just missed a small step and whammy down she went) and now have a walking stick and decided hobble.Xray shows no break but boy the bruises! LOL
Here is the pond & waterfall when it was nice- now it is almost empty because I went home for Christmas till feb and I think I had a leak appear. Roots of the flag iris maybe??? They are so tough. So I have new lining to go in but not until I can walk again.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby ColinM » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Pond looks great KitKat! (Y) Hope the reason for you not walking is both not too long lasting or serious 8) A leak in the liner - something I DREAD happening. :shock:
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby kitkat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:26 am

Ah well Colin as it happens the liner was only a couple of layers of builders plastic - all I could get here - so i expected the sun to destroy it fairly quickly - it gets to 60 degree C in Summer here . Hot as!! :wink: I tried to cover the edges as much as I could but also get a lot of evap.It fills from our recycling system but the fish don't seem to mind the recycled water. I have guppies now as they are faster and live deeper than goldfish- the cats ate those!! :cry: No self respecting frog would live here though.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby ColinM » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 am

Yes kitkay - I've lost one fish to a predator (not sure if it was our cat or another or a bird :-? ) - but the rest are ok. Pitty you can't source a proper liner. Ouch 60 degrees C WAY to hot for lil old me :-@ :D
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Sam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:02 am

Not particularly garden related, although actually cool enough to venture out today after the last three days of stinking hot weather.

Off to donate plasma at the local blood van. If you've donated whole blood, you can donate plasma - and do it fortnightly.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:12 am

Unfortunately, I can't give blood, I was born with Hydrocephalus, which was subsequently fixed via a shunt, but I was told by a nurse that giving blood and the subsequent drop in blood pressure could cause problems. :? Wish I could give blood, because it is a very good cause!
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:35 pm

haven't been on this topic......... lovely to see what everybody is up to....
wellwe had a most glorious day,,actually days..just wonderful..didn't get the things done i am supposed to do but other stuff instead..like make a start on cleaning out the garage..oh boy .is like christmas.....when we moved her 4 years ago..we put some boxes in here and they were forgotten..hmm...found a whole box of linen and sheets..no wonder i couldn't find them anymore !!!
trying to plant more stuff in the garden , dug some holes but now its tooo hot....the holes have to wait..lol
sat this afternoon for smoko on the verandah and admired some lovely honey eaters and our nice fat little herd of cattle wandering past !! all i would have needed is a hammock....... was hard enough just to get motivated to go back to work......... all in little steps, hey !!!
just looking through some of the fabulous pics people put on here......... ! very nice !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Lou » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:51 am

I don't think I have visited this topic before either, grevs1. We sound alike in that I like to take time off and sit and watch things like a wedge-tail eagle soaring , the ewes wandering past, the big lambs getting the crazies and playing chasey, it's a nice break from gardening. What sort of cattle do you have?
Another perfect day here so I might try and get some more roses planted, and pot on some plants that have outgrown their little pots.
Colin, that's unfortunate re the Hydrocephalus, I can imagine how worrying it must have been for your parents when you were young. One of my health issues, and I forget which one, :roll: , means I can't donate blood either, so I know the disappointment. But you know what they say, it's not the gift but the thought that counts. :)
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown
Lou
Gardener

Postby ColinM » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Colin, that's unfortunate re the Hydrocephalus, I can imagine how worrying it must have been for your parents when you were young. One of my health issues, and I forget which one, :roll: , means I can't donate blood either, so I know the disappointment. But you know what they say, it's not the gift but the thought that counts.

Thanks for the very kind words Lou 8) - of course I get all sorts of gibes from 'smart bottomed' friends and work colleagues - something about it must have been a HUGE headache on account of my swell head etc etc :lol:

Not gardening, but since this is a general thread about anything - busy building a new AV (Audio Video) Cabinet for my new AV Amp, Center Speaker and Sub - with new main speakers coming (insurance claim) - here's the proposed unit:

The "skeleton" with dimensions:

Proposed finished product:

Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:48 pm

thanks lou
it is nice to ponder and reflect sometimes, hey!?
i had a wonderful day sofar........ except i just lost my post, as i hadn't saved it and clicked the wrong button..... :( so it just dissappeared.......
i tried to post a doc.on here ; a wonderful joke a friend had sent to me this morning !!!......... i had to sit down because i laughed so much and watching my friend, who was here visiting.... made me cry with laughter the second time as she was blubbering and desperately trying to breathe and laugh all at the same time..........!!!..it sure made our day........ and yes i would have loved to share this great entertainment with you guys, but doc. don't seem to be allowed to be uploaded????......... is there a way to get a joke on here???? please let me know, ok ! thanks !

you asked what cattle we have...... a mixture of brahmans, droughtmaser, santas and bazadais and a stud-droughtmaster bull named kim.( we admire every day!!)..... all our cows have names as well !..you should see us muster them....lol...it takes all of 30 seconds....truly !!
as we open the gate , yell out : "...Mooooooo...." and they come stampeding down the hill, as they know they either get goodies or a new paddock......guess they are slightly spoiled...hmmm..........
we love them ...i always say if one does the best by your animals you will reap the rewards....and they sure give it by rewarding us with lovely healthy calves each year !!!..... we topped the local saleyards a few times so far......not bad for novices !!!...lol.........
P3120003.JPG
view from our verandah ! lovely "mooies"
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby PinkFlowers » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Well, today I planted strawberries, banana trees and rosella trees, laid some Red Gum bark for a pathway way in the garden (no more slipping in the mud), and made a set of two compost bins out of 3 pallets. The compost bins aren't actually quite finished, but we ran out of light. Vegie patch is starting to look like a real garden now, not just a corner of the garden :)
PinkFlowers
Propagator

Postby Daisychain » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:07 am

Good morning everyone.

Its a gorgeous day today in Sunny Brisbane. I intend to do some weeding, mulching and plant a few additions in my vegie patch. I also need to put a border around my vegie patch as one of my dogs tends to wander through it. :roll: Have a great day everyone :D
The flowers of tomorrow are the seeds of yesterday.
Daisychain
Lawn trimmer

Postby Sam » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:56 am

Mulching potatoes. Again...they're just going mad!
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Waterlilly » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:53 am

Been getting lots done in the garden with a couple of days of beautiful Brisbane autumn weather.....vege garden looking a treat .....thought I might head out to day EXCEPT - have been dealing with a cough I can't shift for a month or two - lifted a
heavy hanging basket on Sunday and felt a bit sore around the ribs - experienced one of my serious coughing "fits" and really exacerbated the damage - now doing almost nothing - even breathing hurts.....
Never mind - will heal in due course - at least I'll get some watering done...
Amazed to discover my hydrangeas are making buds (the white one is always ahead of the rest) - belonged to my Mum's garden 40 0dd years ago, and I've taken cuttings whenever we've moved...great joy to see it out..
Make the most of the lovely weather garden folk - lovely time of year if the wind is not too bad...
Waterlilly
Head Gardener

Postby Joanna » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm busy trying to have a bit of a tidy in the garden, extra mulch on some specials, powerfeed etc as needed...as I am off tomorrow (Friday) for a fortnight and some sun (hopefully) surf (hopefully) and seafood ( definitely) at Mooloolaba on the Sunshine coast. Happy gardening everyone! :lol: (#) (Y)
"Let there be Peace on Earth
The Peace that was meant to be;
Let there be Peace on Earth
And let it begin with me."
Joanna
Curator

Previous

Return to Garden Log