Good Morning..any special plans for today?

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Re: Good Morning..any special plans for today?

Postby Pam » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:59 am

Tropicgardener wrote:
Just hope that monster of a Tropical Cyclone heading my way doesn't undo all of my hard work :?

It might have been a good idea to put off planting TG? At least it will get watered in well.

Tropicgardener wrote:I got in today and completed the rock garden out the front and planted a few Alcantarea and Aechmea blanchetiana broms, Furcraea foetida (Bali Agave), a nice sized bottle palm.

Any pics?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Tropicgardener » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Pam wrote:
Tropicgardener wrote:
Just hope that monster of a Tropical Cyclone heading my way doesn't undo all of my hard work :?

It might have been a good idea to put off planting TG? At least it will get watered in well.

Tropicgardener wrote:I got in today and completed the rock garden out the front and planted a few Alcantarea and Aechmea blanchetiana broms, Furcraea foetida (Bali Agave), a nice sized bottle palm.

Any pics?

Pam, I would rather have them in the ground than have them become projectiles flying around the yard. I will take some photos but I am rather challenged when it comes to uploading them on here :roll:
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby Pam » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:09 am

Tropicgardener wrote:
Pam, I would rather have them in the ground than have them become projectiles flying around the yard.

Good point. Even if they do receive a little wind damage they will recover.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby belladonna » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:40 pm

Planted the sweetpeas to grow over the old chicken coop.Planted up the Peter Pan Aggies from GE thanks lovely healthy looking plants.But they are not the same as the original ones which are verigated and because the first one was so minuet I ordered 4 ,theses are larger and there is more than one per pot (Y) .So off I went to buy another pot .I got silver flowering ornitho......somethings to plant in the fairy garden pot , so they went in this AM daffs for a friend doing battle with cancer went into fridge,thats another forum she can no longer garden we are growing them all over the world for her then posting .Mine are hoop petticoats.Pulled a couple of million weeds.
The glory of the garden: hands in the dirt,
head in the sun,heart with nature.
To nurture a garden is to feed
not just the body ,but the soul.
Alfred Austin 1835-1913
belladonna
Senior Curator

Postby Joanna » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:40 pm

Had lunch out today at beautiful Picnic Point inToowoomba to celebrate our 55th wedding anniversary. :)
"Let there be Peace on Earth
The Peace that was meant to be;
Let there be Peace on Earth
And let it begin with me."
Joanna
Curator

Postby Damien » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:16 am

It is 8am and im about to head out down to our new house thats being built. Brother owes me a couple (for wiring his house and his shed), so roped him in to pre-wiring our house today. I'm looking forward to it, got a lot to do (telephone, data, antenna, foxtel, AV and security) but thats half the fun.

Its a trifle cold though! 5 degrees atm.

Damien
"oh that says plant one metre apart... oh i see..."
Damien
Head Curator

Postby midgin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:04 pm

FINALLY... a day without rain....YAY.. (apologies to those who need rain) ...I managed to tidy two garden beds and it was a pleasantly warmish day...my second YAY for the day...
Gee it lifts the spirits to get outside into the garden....let's hope we have more sunny days ahead.
I headed out with the camera....note to self...do NOT kneel on the grass after so much rain.... :oops:

Tulips Fri 30 7 .2010 045 (Small).jpg

Variety  Fri 30 7 .2010 061 (Small).jpg

I hope everyone had an enjoyable day.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby GoldenWattle » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:41 pm

The pink flower in the second photo looks like a gerbera. Am I mistaken? In any event, great looking photos! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby midgin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:48 pm

GoldenWattle wrote:The pink flower in the second photo looks like a gerbera. Am I mistaken? In any event, great looking photos! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)

Hi GW, it is a lovely plant ...Arctotis 'Louise'....an easy no care plant. It is recommended as an excellent groundcover ...best part...it has stated on the tag that it has 'self cleaning' of flower heads.
I wish my car had a 'self cleaning' head... :roll:
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Love those tulips. Well done.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:59 pm

Lovely pics Mids :D
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:35 pm

thanks guys... I think I have a new addiction.....Tulips.. :lol: :lol:
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:12 pm

here have these then :lol:

The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks Thee, that is inspiring....I can barely wait until next year. To be honest, I prefer the tulips to most of my other bulbs.. the tulips have lovely shaped, striking foliage, lovely cupped flowers, which put on a nice show... and (so far) seem to be easy care. I love the way the plants stand so erect..not flopping about like some other bulbs....
Oddly enough all the rain we have had, of late, has not deterred the Tulips.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:14 am

I dont have the patience to lift them every year :oops: , maybe I should try again but in pots, there are some wonderful shades =p~

The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Ianrobert » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Special Plans, yes. It's our 'Open Garden' this weekend and if only people knew just how much work and planning goes into an event like this, it's crazy, just so much to do and so little time to do it in.
We had some great rain in October but has been dry since, hopefully we may get some rain in the next couple of days.
Ian
We have a one acre sub-tropical garden . We open to the public in November each year through the 'Open Garden' scheme. We are interested in Bromeliads, Gingers, Heliconias, Costus and all rare and unusual plants.
Ianrobert
Curator

Postby karyn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:10 am

Hmmm today...cough, blow my nose, cough some more, stagger from the bed to the couch then stop to catch my breath, sneeze 265 times, blow my nose, cough some more...

Actually, despite all that I have gold tickets to see Leonard Cohen tonight. I went to the last Adelaide concert and it was magnificent, so I'm looking forward to tonight. I won't be able to sing though, which is possibly a good thing... :o
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:07 pm

lol Poor Karyn.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Hope you get well soon Karyn! LC - cool! 8) LOVE is pathos!

I'm a court security officer and wanted the day off. Had me in the lockup, because I'm 50 clicks from work, rang the cops and asked if there was anyone in the lockup and they said yes. Darn! Into work. Started at 9, arrived at 07:45 (because my wife works across the road in WA Licencing) - had time to kill, so went off to organise a planned swimming regime at the local poool, pick up a rod tip that I broke and a new garden sprayer then received a phone call from the boss that the 2 in lockup where remanded off to a jouvinile center - so no work - drove back to home (another 50 clicks) - spent 4 hours in 32 degress (C of course!) spraying weeds, fed the fish, then drove back to Albany (another 50 clicks) - picked up wife - she went to the dentist - then drove another 50 clicks back to Barker! I wasn't bored today :lol:

Ladies, LOVE the tulips! (Y) 8)
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:13 am

Hi to all I haven't been here in ages because I lost my hard Drive and had to have another out in and lost this site--so G'day to all again
Grasshopper
Head Curator

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Log