Bundaberg in Flood

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Bundaberg in Flood

Postby abwal » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Re: Bundaberg in Flood

Postby tam » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 pm

Saw some space shots on the news tonight. They are spectacular.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby JNarelle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:45 pm

How is the flood affecting you abwal? are you ok?
JNarelle
Curator

Postby abwal » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Thank you for asking, JNarelle. We are fine. We live in a slightly higher part of Bundaberg. We can, however, see the river from our balcony and this happens only when it is in flood. We actually are just along the road from the major evacuation centre.

There have been many comings and going of helicopters and planes over the last few days and night. The noise has not bothered us at all as we know it is being done to help so many in need.

Our garden has suffered a little from the amount of rain we had, but most will recover. A large clump of clivia has fallen over, but there are still lots of good roots and some new ones appearing, so most of the plants will survive.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby MacMaples » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm glad you're okay Abwal.
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:03 am

Now that the flood waters are receeding though, there is major devastation in the worst affected area. If you are on facebook,the Queensland Police Service's page can give you a bit of an idea.

The very basic infrastructure is going to have to be rebuilt, from literally below the ground up - including sewerage, roads and power supply. The police were telling yesterday of entire power poles that had fallen into sink holes, and army vehicles driving over a section of road (where it still exists - a lot of them don't) and falling into a hole as the road collapsed under them.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby MacMaples » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Pam wrote: . . The very basic infrastructure is going to have to be rebuilt, from literally below the ground up - including sewerage, roads and power supply. The police were telling yesterday of entire power poles that had fallen into sink holes, and army vehicles driving over a section of road (where it still exists - a lot of them don't) and falling into a hole as the road collapsed under them.

I heard about the roads and sewage on the news I saw, didn't know about vehicles going into sinkholes. :shock: :(

How are you Pam? I'm sorry, I'm not really up on who is where on this forum. :oops:

Stay safe everyone in Sydney and surrounds. I see there's a severe storm warning for you at the moment.
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby lilly60 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm relieved to see that the Bundabergians we see the most of in this Forum are ok. Have been thinking about you all and hoping you are ok. However, I feel so sad for those who have lost virtually everything in this terrible flood. Sitting here in dry old Adelaide one feels rather useless when there is so much need for help up there. :(
lilly60
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:59 am

MacMaples wrote:

How are you Pam? I'm sorry, I'm not really up on who is where on this forum. :oops:

We're fine thanks MacMaples. We got power on again yesterday for the first time since Saturday, which is a real luxury. We'd been rationing what hot water was still in the system and were surprised at how well it lasted. We got off lightly though.
I heard about the roads and sewage on the news I saw, didn't know about vehicles going into sinkholes. :shock: :(

I don't think that made it to the news ... by the time info was fed to the media there would have been so many nasty shocks that day that I imagine they'd all eventually melt together into one big devastating picture .
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby MacMaples » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:46 pm

I'm glad you're intact. Rough about the power though (a couple of hours once stretched my patience :oops: ), I'm glad it's back now.
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Return to Garden Log