Gardening Australia Sydney Expo 2013?

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Gardening Australia Sydney Expo 2013?

Postby Getafix » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:21 pm

A few years back i went to a GA Expo at Rosehill Racecourse and really enjoyed it. I'm would be keen to go again this year, but i can't seem to find anything about it online :(

Does anyone know if it is on or not this year?
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Re: Gardening Australia Sydney Expo 2013?

Postby karyn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:08 pm

There hasn't been one in Adelaide for several years now. I think another company was going to take over, but here at least, nothing came of it.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:10 am

I know they cancelled it in Sydney last year Getafix (at least I think it was last year) due to insufficient stall holders (it's apparently quite expensive.)

You could always ask on their facebook page whether they're having one in Sydney this year.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Getafix » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks guys...yes, i might try their facebook page or emailing them directly. Also, i only just realised that in the past on the TV show they have had video clips from the expos where the hosts were troubleshooting problem plants that people had brought in...they haven't done that for a while, and i'm wondering now if its because they no longer run the expos?
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Postby karyn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:59 pm

We had a site at both the Adelaide ones,the organisation was terrible, and we only went back the second year because they begged us and charged us way less for our site. They left us off the program and advertising for the first one, and charged extra for things like 'rubbish collection'. While Adelaide has lots of great and interesting gardeners, they seem to trot out the same old people every time there's a gardening event. And quite frankly, some of them are full of horse apples. I did hear (on this forum) that the Eastern States ones were better, had lots more stalls, and lots more plants for sale. The sites were outrageously expensive,and the entry fees were prohibitive as well.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Sam » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:57 am

I've been given the impression that they won't be happening any more. A pity - but they've gone downhill in the last few years...not nearly as good as they used to be.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Stormgirl » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 am

I went once, I think it was about 11 years ago, I believe it was one of the first ones in Sydney (if not THE first)

I have never been back since. It cost a fortune for entry, only to wander into what is effectively a marketplace selling more stuff. Why should I pay to enter a shop? :-?

I will never pay entry to any of these types of expos ever again.
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby Systema_Naturae » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm

I heard on the grape vine that the wheels are in motion for one later this year, in October in Sydney.
Systema_Naturae
Curator

Return to Garden Log