Weber barbecue problem

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Weber barbecue problem

Postby kombi69 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:29 pm

I've had a Weber charcoal barbecue over twenty years. For about the last year I've had a problem with (luckily so far only) one side going out during the cooking time. This is after both sides had been well lit, top & bottom vents left fully open after lid put on. I'm using genuine Heat Beads (with the yellow/orange /red circular logo) and Redheads fire lighters.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? thanks
kombi69
Head Gardener

Re: Weber barbecue problem

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:33 am

The man here who has a Weber barbecue wants to know what are you using baskets or piles for your heatbeads?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby hoddo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:19 am

try the aussie bbq forum http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/ also try using charcoal much better than heatbeads
hoddo
Curator

Postby kombi69 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Pam wrote:The man here who has a Weber barbecue wants to know what are you using baskets or piles for your heatbeads?

Baskets, (Zippo BBQ Kettle Lighter) have done for probably close to the full over 20 years. Once lit remove basket to become a pile
kombi69
Head Gardener

Postby kombi69 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:57 pm

hoddo wrote:try the aussie bbq forum http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/ also try using charcoal much better than heatbeads

Where to get a reliable supply of charcoal though?
kombi69
Head Gardener

Postby kombi69 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm suspecting it is an issue with either the firelighters or fuel extinguishing the fire after lid put on, perhaps a gas develops? I believe the Head Beads are not as chunky as they once were. I sent a sample of the Heat Beads to manufacturers Australian Char Pty Ltd, they sent back heaps more and other goodies, but haven't got back to me with an answer, either no problem or a solution.
I'm hoping someone else has had similar experience with these products and found a solution or have swapped to other (readily available) brands ... fingers crossed.
kombi69
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:29 am

Have you by any chance been using the same batch of beads during all your failed attempts over the past 12 months Kombi?

Whatever you do, DON'T use the ones from Bummings. I don't recall what brand they were, but the left a burnt-smokey chemical taste in the food.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby hoddo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:20 am

For some real good advice on where to source charcoal or for anything bbq related, get in touch with Chris at the Urban Griller in Freo.http://www.urbangriller.com/Index.html
hoddo
Curator

Postby kombi69 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Pam wrote:Have you by any chance been using the same batch of beads during all your failed attempts over the past 12 months Kombi?

Whatever you do, DON'T use the ones from Bummings. I don't recall what brand they were, but the left a burnt-smokey chemical taste in the food.

No, problem has been with the ones I sent to distributor and the ones they sent back
kombi69
Head Gardener

Return to Garden Log