I'm excited.

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Re: I'm excited.

Postby tam » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 pm

I will come. :lol:
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:27 pm

I'll keep you posted.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 am

Would love to please Bubba. I'm also happy to attempt to help out with anything that might be a bit tricky propagationwise, that you want to take with you.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Pam wrote:Would love to please Bubba. I'm also happy to attempt to help out with anything that might be a bit tricky propagationwise, that you want to take with you.

Thanks Pam, but there isn't much I want to take.
I had intended to keep quite a lot, but once I saw the block most of it just isn't suitable. Most of the things I am taking are already in pots.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby greg.l » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:09 pm

Congrats BL, I always wondered how you coped on a suburban block. The big questions are - what is the parent rock (basalt, sandstone etc), what is the annual rainfall, how much water do you have, how deep is the soil? Also how long does it take to commute to work? It looks like a great block, hopefully there is lots of wildlife but I'm sure there will be more after you've lived there a while.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:45 am

greg.l wrote:Congrats BL, I always wondered how you coped on a suburban block. The big questions are - what is the parent rock (basalt, sandstone etc), what is the annual rainfall, how much water do you have, how deep is the soil? Also how long does it take to commute to work? It looks like a great block, hopefully there is lots of wildlife but I'm sure there will be more after you've lived there a while.

1) no idea 2) lots more than here 3) I'd have to check, but we might get a bigger tank anyway 4) don't know but everything that's already there is flourishing and the area has a rep for being good for growing stuff ( very technical term I know ) 5) no commute, we're retired. 6) there's lots of walaby poo evident and they've fenced the veg garden. LOL

It's actually going to be much less maintenance than where we are now. I'm not planning any beds as such, apart from veg, and the rainforest looks after itself. All I'm thinking of for now is adding some flowering natives near the house, and putting my epis in appropriate trees.
It'll just be a case of mowing what isn't forested. I really don't want anything that needs a lot of weeding anymore.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:58 am

bubba louie wrote:there isn't much I want to take.
I had intended to keep quite a lot, but once I saw the block most of it just isn't suitable.

We had that here, only I didn't realise it until after I'd moved 6 BIG trailer loads of plants. :roll:

Definitely get another rainwater tank. I don't think you can ever have too much water storage capacity (within reason, of course.)

...... and lots of birdbaths!!!! :D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:59 pm

I have a plant on the block that was a bit of a mystery to me and the previous owner, so I tracked down the owner before her, and it's kava. Not that I intend to use it but it's a bit of a talking point.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:57 am

Ok, I'm not jealous...I'm NOT jealous...I'm SO JEALOUS!! :mrgreen:

What a truly AWESOME place Bubba - heartiest congratulations!

Living the dream!!

:P
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Not quite living it yet Colin. We have to finish off the renos on this house and sell it before we can move up there full time.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:09 am

bubba louie wrote:Not quite living it yet Colin. We have to finish off the renos on this house and sell it before we can move up there full time.

Great motivation Bubba! Good luck with the sale! 8)
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby MacMaples » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:38 pm

That's a lovely place! :) I hope you can make the move soon. Merry Christmas and all the best for 2015.
MacMaples
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:48 pm

The time has come for me to sort out the Brisbane garden.

Seeing Pam has the most distance to travel I thought I'd let you all sort it out with her as to an appropriate time.

I can usually fit in with what suits best. :D
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:59 am

Very kind of you Bubba. Thank you. :)

My trips to Brisbane revolve around 2nd saturday of the month. The day before that (the Friday) usually (but not always) the second Friday, or the Monday a week and a half down the track would be good for me if they work for everyone else.

I'm due to head down this coming Friday, but am already a bit tied up that day. How would the Monday, 23rd of this month work for you Bubba, and others? Failing that, Friday March 13 would work for me too. If it's too difficult working around my trips though, please just go ahead and do it without me.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:11 pm

Pam wrote:Very kind of you Bubba. Thank you. :)

My trips to Brisbane revolve around 2nd saturday of the month. The day before that (the Friday) usually (but not always) the second Friday, or the Monday a week and a half down the track would be good for me if they work for everyone else.

I'm due to head down this coming Friday, but am already a bit tied up that day. How would the Monday, 23rd work for you Bubba, and others? Failing that, Friday March 13 would work for me too. If it's too difficult working around my trips though, please just go ahead and do it without me.

Both of those dates are fine by me.
I think Sam and Tam were the only others interested.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:33 pm

Aahhhhh...if I lived closer....*sigh* ...
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:53 pm

midgin wrote:Aahhhhh...if I lived closer....*sigh* ...

I wish you did too.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby tam » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:47 pm

Those dates are fine with me.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:26 pm

That just leaves Sam.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Toss a coin ladies and let me know which of the two dates to pencil in.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Log