Phalaenopsis Orchid Aerials

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Phalaenopsis Orchid Aerials

Postby abwal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:19 am

Don't be in too much of a hurry to remove flower stems once the flowers have finished. Sometimes aerials ( keikis) will form at node points on the stem ( photo 1). These are left attached to the mother plant until sufficient roots have developed ( can be up to 12 months) when they can be removed, with a small part of the stem attached, and potted up.

Flower spikes may also form from node points ( photo2) and even both flowers and keiki may form at the same node ( photo3).

Phal1.jpg
Photo 1

Phal3.jpg
Photo 2

Phal2.jpg
Photo 3
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Re: Phalaenopsis Orchid Aerials

Postby midgin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks, Abwal. Good to know. (Y) (Y)
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:54 am

I love Phalenopsis, but have always been afraid to try them for some ridiculous reason.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:34 am

Once you find the right spot for them, they are fairly easy to grow, Pam. They like conditions that suit African violets.
Choose a spot that receives sufficient light to give a shadow that is clear but not too strong. ( Avoid direct sunlight.)
Water when the surface of the medium starts to dry. ( Avoid over-watering.)
They like high humidity so a dish of water placed close to the pot will help. ( I use a shallow plastic tray with sand or gravel in it. The pot containing the orchid is placed on an upturned plastic container resting on the sand/gravel. Water is placed in the tray to just saturate the sand/gravel, but well clear of the base of the pot.)
The roots contain chlorophyll which is why phal. pots are usually clear.
Fertilize with quarter strength liquid fertilizer on a weekly basis. ( I use a water soluble orchid fertilizer.)
Avoid wetting the leaves - particularly at the centre of the plant - and wipe away any water spills immediately.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Systema_Naturae » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:35 pm

I'd never thought of their roots containing chlorophyll before - growing them in a clear pot is a great tip! That's intriguing.

Phalaenopsis make great houseplants here in Melbourne. I have mine in a brightly lit room that faces north, out of direct sun. In our climate I water it once every two weeks with a very weak fish emulsion, and it thrives. In winter the flowers last for months.
Systema_Naturae
Curator

Postby RaynaDrinksTea » Mon May 09, 2016 6:43 pm

This makes me think I should find some glass planters with drainage. They're always sold in clear plastic pots which are then placed in opaque planters for aesthetic reasons - but maybe should be in clear planters which are nicer than the plastic ones? Has anyone seen any? I guess some lovely jars with holes drilled in will suffice - a project to undertake!
RaynaDrinksTea
Lawn trimmer

Postby abwal » Fri May 13, 2016 9:21 am

I cut the bottom off soft drink bottles and drill a large hole in the base. I place a layer of scoria ( any small gravel will do) at the bottom and then plant the orchid in sphagnum moss.

Clear pots also encourage the roots to stay in the pot.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby dalelesley » Fri May 13, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks for the info abwel. Just got an email from diggers though saying they are out of stock :( so might try some place else to get one. I think if I treat as I do my Laelia I shouldn't go to far wrong.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Return to Garden Log