Of PeeWees and Possums.

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Of PeeWees and Possums.

Postby Pam » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:09 am

So 18 months ago when a couple of peewees / mudlarks arrived in our yard and promptly proceeded to build a nest I was thrilled that we a) had another bird variety in our garden, and b) that it was nesting there. This year we still only have one pair, so I'm guessing their habit is to have a family then kick Junior out at the first opportunity to fend for himself.

The thing is, they have spend almost all say for several months attacking the windows. It has been so constant that I'm surprised they've found time to reproduce. At the moment there is just one ... maybe one at a time(?) bang bang banging on the sliding glass door, so I am guessing he must have gotten her in the family way, and she is sitting in a nest they've made on the island in the middle of what would be our dam if it wasn't almost dry.

This behaviour starts at daybreak and is almost constant for most of the day. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can deter them from doing this? I did manage to get hold of a bigish mirror and put it out by the verandah post which took the noise 'out there' for a while, but they finally managed to kill that and have returned their attentions to the sliding door instead. Can anyone offer a solution please? I don't want to have to keep replacing a mirror which is simply encouraging the continuing of the behaviour. I want it to STOP (or at least move to the neighbours. lol. )

EDIT: Also, we've just had the second possum in as many months fry itself climbing our power pole. Any suggestions for preventing them from climbing it please?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Re: Of PeeWees and Possums.

Postby bubba louie » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm

We have a little bird that we've been told is some kind of whistler. His life revolves around attacking windows and rear view mirrors. Any cars have to have their mirrors covered. Not satisfied with just attacking them he also poos on them. It must be some form of attack because no little bird could possibly produce that much poo without trying. In a day he can make two rear view mirrors unusable. The previous owners of the house tried everything to stop him and gave up.
If nothing else it keeps our inside cat amused.

A metal collar around the power pole will stop any possums.

Like this..http://i.imgur.com/ML8AmGJ.jpg
Last edited by bubba louie on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Keo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi Pam,

You need to try to eliminate the reflection. Not sure how you will do it though, good luck!
Keo
Groundsperson

Postby abwal » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:15 am

Pam, you can get flying-bird mobiles from Bunnings. They are fairly large and - painted to look like a hawk- would possibly deter him or maybe just give him something else to attack.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:54 am

If nothing else it would give the noisy miners something to do for a while Abwal. lol
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ymfoster » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:42 am

I've seen Pee Wees attack car mirrors when stopped at traffic lights, they think it's another Pee Wee in their territory. :)

I've started feeding mine & she only taps on the window to get my attention now & is not so agitated, but she has become very tame & I can place the feed whilst she's only 6 inches away. :)

I also had a very life like feathered Owl in the window that kept the Mynahs away from the feed. :D

Yvonne
ymfoster
Curator

Return to Garden Log