Orchid Loss.

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Orchid Loss.

Postby abwal » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:57 pm

We were hit by thieves last night. They cut a hole in our shadehouse and stole around fifty orchids. Obviously more than one person was involved and they would have needed transport.

We have plenty of security lighting, so they were not too worried about being seen. Unfortunately none of the neighbours saw anything.

The police have been very good, but hold little hope of recovery of the plants.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Re: Orchid Loss.

Postby hoddo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:00 am

Sorry to read this mate. I guess you will have to get surveillance cameras. I hope someone in the orchid community spots something fishy.
hoddo
Curator

Postby Pam » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:32 am

Oh my gosh!!! I'm devastated for you Abwal! Stalk the markets, and anyone who happens to be selling a what seems to be your plants, ask if they sell from home??
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:05 am

Abwal, I've posted about it in a couple of local facebook groups. I hope you get them back.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:22 am

My heavens....that is disgusting. Lowlife. A fellow from the local markets was telling me of a fellow he knows who places some form of ID in the bottom of the pot as he re-pots his plants. That fellow had plants stolen, he spotted them at a market...called the police ...they upended a couple of pots...sure enough. What a sad world that we need to go to such extremes.
So sorry for you, Abwal. ...hugs...
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks everyone. Today's local paper contains an article about a similar robbery that occurred in the same suburb close to two weeks ago. It seems that they have become professional criminals.

Many of the orchids were removed from their pots and even name tags were discarded. I suspect they will all appear at markets, but ownership of most would be difficult to prove. Any that still carry tags I have written and some of the rarer ones may be able to be claimed, but which markets in which towns? They could be hitting over a wide range. A haul of fifty flowering size or actually flowering plants
could pays for a lot of travel and still leave a good profit. You can be pretty sure that we were not the only victims.

Than, Pam, for your help.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby JNarelle » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:00 pm

So sorry to hear that abwal, what scum. :cry:
JNarelle
Curator

Postby abwal » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks, JNarelle.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:04 am

A little update:
Our phals. are kept with the Af. violets so are safe.
One miniature oncidium in flower was inside the house and is safe.
About 20 plants were left and, of course they are the weaker ones that would not sell readily.
One pot containing a cymbidium in very good condition was left. ( Cymbidiums do not flower very well in our climate.)

We will not be starting a collection again at our age.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:13 am

I'm assuming insurance won't cover them Abwal?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby dalelesley » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:46 am

So sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved orchids abwal must be devastating after all the hard work and expense to buy thm in the first place. I hope who ever has them gets what is coming to them. I can only say this what goes round comes round.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby abwal » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks, Dalelesley.

They will be covered by insurance, Pam. An assessor will be visiting. The problem, of course, is that I do not have a complete list of plants that were stolen. It is only in the last couple of years that I have been keeping a record of plants. Most of the older plants are not on record. They have asked me to have photos if possible. I think I might be able to do that. :D

I did not bother to go to the market yesterday as I suspect they would not be selling local and, anyway, proving ownership of plants would be extremely difficult. I am also booked for surgery tomorrow and could do without the extra hassle at this time. ( Only minor surgery, but still enough to cope with.)
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby meriash » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:24 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your terrible loss.
As orchid grower I can almost feel you sorrow, you spend so much time and care with them they become such a part of your life don't they?

I do hope that there will be a breakthrough and you will have some returned to you.

Best wishes with your surgery.
meriash
Groundsperson

Postby abwal » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:41 pm

Thank you Meriash. We are pretty much resigned to the fact that we will not see them again. Really, the worst part of the whole thing is the realization that this group seems to be targeting homes that they must previously have ckecked out so they could come so well prepared. Our orchidhouse is not readily visible from the street. They must be entering properties looking for shadehouses.

The Scene of Crimes Officer recommended that we have CCT fitted. He also suggested that we get a guard dog. What a sad state our society is in.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby meriash » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:21 am

Yes, a very sad society these days/

We had our car broken into, parked in the car port at the front of the house.

The lovely Police Woman who came said that there are a group wandering the streets checking cars that have unlocked doors, which, sadly, our was as we had rushed inside and clean forgot to lock it........never again.

She told us to get one of those battery run dogs or frogs that either bark or croak, when you walk past them, they make just enough noise to give the thieves a fright and take off. :roll:
meriash
Groundsperson

Postby Keo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:09 pm

abwal wrote:Thank you Meriash. We are pretty much resigned to the fact that we will not see them again. Really, the worst part of the whole thing is the realization that this group seems to be targeting homes that they must previously have ckecked out so they could come so well prepared. Our orchidhouse is not readily visible from the street. They must be entering properties looking for shadehouses.

The Scene of Crimes Officer recommended that we have CCT fitted. He also suggested that we get a guard dog. What a sad state our society is in.

I'd be looking at people who have entered your property before eg someone you have sold/given an orchid to or a neighbour. It's unlikely they are entering lots of properties looking for greenhouses, much more likely they knew your layout. Sorry for your loss. It's a horrible thing being robbed but the worst part is the distrust you grow of people as a result.
Keo
Groundsperson

Postby abwal » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:22 am

If you look at the satellite view in Google Maps, you will see just how easy it is to spot shadehouses in backyards.

There was at least one other orchid robbery at that time. We do have suspects, but are awaiting proof.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Return to Garden Log