Hooray! Frogs!

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

Hooray! Frogs!

Postby Chrysanth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:29 am

I'm so excited. :D We have frogs! Well, we have them every summer, but I've only ever heard them, never seen them.this morning, our regular calling male was joined by another frog, replying in the same language of "bonk bonk". When I went to see, this is what I found.

I watched him swim around for a while, then another one appeared and this happened:

A bit later and we had frog eggs!
Now, should I move them somewhere where the goldfish can't get them, or will they be all right?
May all your weeds be wildflowers - Author unknown.
Chrysanth
Groundsperson

Re: Hooray! Frogs!

Postby midgin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:38 am

Excellent news... I love to hear of gardens with frogs. Re the goldfish...do you have another pond? Maybe it would be easier to move the fish?
Don't be afraid to colour outside the lines.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Mister Wisteria » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:47 am

Brilliant photo's and I do like frogs, :D one of the few beastie's of this world that I don't run from. :oops:
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby Chrysanth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:35 pm

Thanks, Mr Wisteria and midgin. :) I don't have another pond, but I do have a large pot with water and irises in it. Was thinking of moving the frogspawn to here. It's not big enoughfor the fish, which are actually koi and about 10cm long. Will they eat the eggs?
Chrysanth
Groundsperson

Postby Pam » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Yes Chrysanth, they will! Congratulations on your new family!:D
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Chrysanth » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:42 pm

Drat! I thought so! :(
Chrysanth
Groundsperson

Postby Lea » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:44 pm

What little beauties, Chrysanth - congrats on creating such a healthy and safe frog-friendly garden (Y) 8) You might want to have a browse throughout these sites - lots of great info on frogs and what's good for them -
http://frogs.org.au
- and you can identify your frogs and even hear their calls to help identify their species, here -
http://frogs.org.au/frogs
(Y) :mrgreen: 8)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Postby Abbi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Well done Chrysanth. I often hear frog calls, which I enjoy very much, but it's very hard to spot the frogs. Your pond must have a really good balanced environment. 8)
Abbi
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Maybe you should think about making a second pond with frog friendly fish. Now that they've started breeding this problem will keep happening.

I wonder if screening one end of the pond off with wire too small for the fish would work? It might give the taddies somewhere to hide.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:33 pm

bubba louie wrote:I wonder if screening one end of the pond off with wire too small for the fish would work? It might give the taddies somewhere to hide.

I was thinking along those lines too. If you can put something around the eggs now, then hopefully some will survive to turn into frogs. Remember though that in the wild only a small number will survive to maturity.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:57 pm

guzzigirl wrote: Remember though that in the wild only a small number will survive to maturity.

Yep! I spotted an eastern brown (snake) in our dam yesterday, catching itself a good feed of frogs! :cry: :cry:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Primmie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Congrats on your frogs Chrysanth,

I had to move my goldfish out of the pond down the back as he was getting fatter and fatter (he is now known by my grandson as the FAT FREAKY FISH) and for a while I couldn't work out why - :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: - till I realized no tadpoles - so he is up with the other THINNER goldfish and I am hoping the frogs will come back.
"The risk it takes to remain tight inside the bud is more painful than the risk it takes to blossom"
Anais Nin
Primmie
Curator

Postby boylesg » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:50 pm

That would be a Banjo Frog if your are outside Victoria or a Pobblebonk if you are in Victoria. They get different names because the Victorian and non-Victorian populations are different sub-species, or something like that.

The really rare species, which I am not certain occur outside Victoria, is the Growling Grass Frog. Rare because their grassland habitat does not get the same level of recognition and protection as our rain forests and hence there is little of it left that is undisturbed. These are much greener looking and sound a little like a Harley Davidson turning over.
Gregary Boyles
boylesg
Curator

Postby oproudfoot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:55 pm

If you have enough space chrysanth, you really need 2 ponds, as someone suggested above... I don't think kois and frogs can co-exist in the same pond, especially once the kois get bigger. If there was not enough space for 2 ponds, and if it was me, I'd prefer the frogs any day to the kois... but that's just me. I guess you could try moving some of the eggs to the big pot thingy you mentioned... in case the fish knock off all the the ones in the pond, or snap up all the tadpoles as soon as they hatch... if you do this though, try to gently pare of a section of the main spawn mass without breaking it up. And keep the water level nice and high in the pot. I’d love to see a pic of the eggs by the way ...
I recently came across a group of about 10 frogs in a damn at my mums place on the ACT/NSW border near Lake George. Does anyone know what sort of frogs they might be ? (see pics below). They were about an inch long or a bit over.
Cheers, Owen

oproudfoot
Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:21 pm

I hate to tell you this Owen, but the first one is a cane toad. :roll:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby oproudfoot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:28 pm

Not sure if you're joking or not Pam... but cane-toads are not found anywhere remotely near this location, and at 1 inch or so these frogs are way too small to be cane-toads, and the frog in pic 1 is the SAME frog as in pic 2, after it jumped into the shallows. I've done a bit of searching in the last hour or two and my money is now on 'lymnodynastes tasmaniensis", or the spotted marsh frog.
Cheers, Owen
oproudfoot
Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:37 pm

oproudfoot wrote:my money is now on 'lymnodynastes tasmaniensis", or the spotted marsh frog.
Cheers, Owen

I agree
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby boylesg » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:20 pm

guzzigirl wrote:
oproudfoot wrote:my money is now on 'lymnodynastes tasmaniensis", or the spotted marsh frog.
Cheers, Owen

I agree

Frog calls are largely diagnostic of the species so take note of what their calls sound like. The frog websites often include recording of each species' call.
Gregary Boyles
boylesg
Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:28 am

oproudfoot wrote:Not sure if you're joking or not Pam...

:oops: I wasn't joking, but I didn't open the thumbnail either. When I clicked the thumbnail just now, it is clearly NOT a cane toad! Sorry for the scare Owen! :oops: (I already knew I need to get my eyes checked, but this just confirms it :lol: )
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:26 am

How gorgeous - you must be providing them with a very healthy environment!!
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Next

Return to Water Gardens