Any suggestion on hedge

A Forum for discussion of non-native trees and shrubs. Topics related to trees and shrubs normally used to provide fruit should be posted under 'Fruit & Produce' Forum. (Where known, topics related to Australian native trees and shrubs should be posted in that Forum).

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

Any suggestion on hedge

Postby blitz » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:29 pm

Hi All,

I live in NSW, and I am looking for hedge plan which can be used for fence (ideally the one which can grow up to 1.5 - 2m tall) and it would be good if it produce nice scented during night time. Does anyone have any idea in mind?

Thank you.
blitz
Propagator

Re: Any suggestion on hedge

Postby Elina » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Lilac makes nice hedge,but it will take quite long time to get it.
Elina
Curator

Postby greg.l » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:32 pm

Fragrant hedges - definitely not box, thats stinky, not fragrant! Winter honeysuckle makes a fragrant hedge, but a bit untidy. Chinese star jasmine can be trained into a nice hedge.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby blitz » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks Elina and Greg. Yeah after looking at lilac, I like it, but takes too long to form a hedge. Chinese Star Jasmine sounds good, but how long does it take to climb up to 2m tall fence?
blitz
Propagator

Hedge suggestions

Postby Comets_Mum » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:08 am

First suggestion, Orange Jessamine (Murraya paniculata). It's sometimes called mock orange, because it gets white flowers several times a year (strong, sweet perfume) followed by little miniature looking oranges. It also grows in a pot and is very tough. Grows to 3 m x 3 m, sun or part/shade, good hedge plant (off the label). Glossy deep green foliage.

Many of the gardening shows on TV lately have been featuring the Westringia as a hedge. I love it because of its blue/green colour, but haven't got it growing as a hedge. Similar needs to above. Good drainage essential, so build up beds a bit. Native. Pretty blue flowers a lot of the year, but no perfume. Easy to prune because of its fine foliage. Tough plant too, and it grows fast.

Guess it depends on the type of garden you want.

There are heaps of lilly pilly's which are now available for hedges. They are natives and there is a big variety of foliage types and colours.
Comets_Mum
Cultivator

Postby blitz » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:43 am

Great, thank you all.

I will go to few nursery today with my soil and ask them which of the plant from my list suitable for it.
- Orange Jasmine/Murraya paniculata
- Chinese Star Jasmine/Trachelospermum jasminoides
- Cestrum nocturnum - Night Blooming Jasmine

Once again, thank you for the very helpful advise.

Regards,
Tony
blitz
Propagator

Return to Trees & Shrubs