Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby grevs1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:39 pm

GoldenWattle wrote: I'm assuming it's more of an upright bush like Fireworks than a weeper or spreading g/c?

I also find the M/L splendid in full bloom and I was quite surprised by how small the flowers are on synaphea...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)

yes it is GW.... the stenomera is an uprite, spreading bush to about 2m i think.....and i am with you..the flower-colour combined with its nearly white silver foliage is just too good to be true.....i just put it on a stem to be able to admire the flowers better as it starts from the bottom and working its way up..... !

even the flowers on the synaphea are little.. they are massed together it still gives it an overall whitish appearence once everything is open and the perfume is just astounding on hot days...... just lovely!!,,, i must be going around the bend as these days for me just looking at the picture of it..i'd swear i can smell it !!!! ...my brain must get those endorphines going...... hahaaha
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:16 am

It smells like lollies! Watch out for the carbs, Grevs. :lol:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:35 pm

hi all
meanwhile my synapheae has opened most of its sweet flowers...........!!!
yes they may be smallish but look at the masses of them and the perfume...ah..just so sweet !!!!!

P8130013.JPG

and the pink ice seems to have a second flush even better and more flowers than the first time !?...
P8130037-1.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Lovely Grevs! Does the synapheae grow to be a roundish standard? Since the shoot seem to be going in every direction!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:37 pm

hi BT
guess it doess grow overall into a more "ball-shape" but also has longer ones cascading down !

GW
can't find the post where you refered to flowering duration of the tenuiloba !!!??.......
anyway..had a look at old pics and it had started flowering already start of april....so that is more than 4 months already..attach pic from today....and its not stopping in a hurry yet !!!
Attachments
P8150027.JPG
long flowering !!! april - sept. ?
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:59 pm

look i have 4 of the more unusual ones together here ! :lol:

P8160005-2.JPG
august 2011
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:18 pm

grevs1 wrote:had a look at old pics and it had started flowering already start of april....so that is more than 4 months already

That's good value! I look forward to mine putting on some growth and hopefully getting a couple of flowers next autumn. :wink:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby GoldenWattle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:29 pm

I did my taxes yesterday - a yearly event I suspect a lot of us aren't fond of... But when I finished, I felt like having a party! Not just because there was a refund at the end, but because it feels like a weight is lifted from my shoulders. :mrgreen:

As a result of the refund, I thought I would spoil myself with a standard grevillea. :D While I haven't given up on grafting my own, I thought it'd be nice to have the instant gratification of a standard that is either flowering already or won't be far off. I'm thinking of getting bipinnatifida - when I went to the production nursery over the summer, they had two varieties - the difference being in the form of the leaves. I liked the one with the smaller leaves better. I noticed that a number of them had what looked like thick spider webs on them - would that be something to be wary of? Is it something that can be treated (ie. if it's something other than spiders) or if they all have the webs on them, am I better off chosing another variety?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:16 pm

hi GW

i reckon you will be very pleased with a "bif".....and about the webs..well are they very fine small constructions but many or just big webs????/
if they are fine and many..well could be the "two spotted mite" or red spider mite..it is called as it gets red in winter and spins lots of webs.....they can become a pest if not controlled !....but you can get rid of them with spraying and care !..think "roger" is listed for it !!..just google it !
otherwise the bif sure is a wonderful plant and flowers most of the year....up here it is struggling a bit with the humidity..so it does very well down your way, i am told !

attach a pic of mine here ..so you are tempted enough to get one....lol !!!!

P8060022.JPG

or maybe a plum crazy ???

P8060067.JPG

or maybe tempt you with a royal mantle after all..as mine are just bursting into full flower....till one sees a grown one, one sure can see why they are so popular and stunning......... :lol: :wink: :-?

P8180142.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 pm

I went to get my Bif this afternoon and I decided to remove the A fimbriata in favour of the standard - it really is the focal area of the garden as seen from the living room. No sooner had I planted it and watered it in with some Seasol root tonic than my regular visitor decided to check it out - I was so pleased! I quickly forgot how much I paid for it.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:48 pm

GoldenWattle wrote:I went to get my Bif this afternoon and I decided to remove the A fimbriata in favour of the standard - it really is the focal area of the garden as seen from the living room. No sooner had I planted it and watered it in with some Seasol root tonic than my regular visitor decided to check it out - I was so pleased! I quickly forgot how much I paid for it.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)

Yay! Looks terrific! Is it about 1.5 M tall? At the local nursery they are charging 85 for 1-1.2M standards :/

Grevs - do you think because of the humidity here in Brisbane, I will have trouble with a bif standard? What standards are happy in the QLD climate? Even though my grassfire standard seems like its waking up (flower buds are opening... slowly), it does seem to have been suffering from mould/mildew, even though there has been no rain for months! So I am guessing grassfire doesn't like SE qld that much :/

Thanks!
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:31 pm

hi GW

looks lovely alright !!! the fine-leaved one is very nice.....bet you are pleased you did get it after all !!......and it will flower away for most of the time..... (Y) apart from the one you got..i also have a "green-leaved" form of the bif which has a bit more orangey colour flowers like the "mini" as the normal bif has more reddish flowers !

and BT
about the bif....well if you look at the pic from mine up here it seems to do alright even up here..brissy is a little bit less humid so it should be fine.......
that is strange about your grassfire....... certainly shouldn't look sooty at all........ !???? you sure there is no hidden aphids lurking somewhere ??? and as i saw you have it very well in the open with lots of air-movement around it..so don't know..

mine is also just starting to open its buds......so i guess we both are waiting with anticipation !!! :D
guess lately the bird-watching keeps me from checking the buds daily..... hahaaha

i just hope so much that we will have good weather for next weekend as we are getting visitors.... :wink: and i love for them to see all the grevs in flower and all the different birds !.....

P8190012.JPG
think it may be a little friarbird ???? not sure
    P8170035-2.JPG
    green-leaved bif
    grevs1
    Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:01 pm

bottletree wrote:Yay! Looks terrific! Is it about 1.5 M tall? At the local nursery they are charging 85 for 1-1.2M standards :/

It's probably closer to 2m. I paid $80 for it, but that's the wholesale price. I took my time choosing it. They had the a fine leaf form and a broad leaf form too.

grevs1 wrote:apart from the one you got..i also have a "green-leaved" form of the bif which has a bit more orangey colour flowers like the "mini" as the normal bif has more reddish flowers !

Is the broad leaf form the same as the green leaf form? My low graft bif is a broad leaf form, so I opted for the fine leaf form for the standard.

I hope you have good weather on the weekend too. It's slated to be a warm, sunny day down here tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
    GoldenWattle (#)
    GoldenWattle
    Gardening Sage

Postby bottletree » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Grevs,

I agree - think its a little Friar bird you've got there :) http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Philemon-citreogularis

You should participate in the birds in backyards surveys - you've got such a great variety of birds showing up at your home :)
    The most exciting birds I saw in my yard were exotic escapees - Pyrrhura frontalis... otherwise... I did see a blue-faced honey eater picking at the bark of my dawson river weeper a couple of weeks ago. And of course, no camera handy :S
    bottletree
    Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:25 pm

thanks BT
    yes i have joined on that birdwatch thing.......makes me really want to save up for a better camera !!!! all those fabulous shots on there......... just lovely !!!

instead of cleaning kitchen ..i played a good part on here.........hmmmmm
    i didn't even look at any of my plants today....thats bad isn't it !....lol

nothing nicer than to see flowers with bird hanging off them, hey !!!!! just magnificent !
    P8180046.JPG
    honeyeater on c.twilight

the first few flowers on my autumn waterfall standards are opening up.....! love their doublecolour ..the bright orangey-yellow !
    grafts (45).JPG
    mini-st. autumn waterfall
    grevs1
    Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:55 pm

grevs1 wrote:yes i have joined on that birdwatch thing... makes me really want to save up for a better camera !!!! all those fabulous shots on there......... just lovely !!!

I'm no expert in photography by any means Grevs, but I thought I'd offer a suggestion. If you use automatic mode on a compact digital camera, it won't fire the flash because it thinks there's enough light (because the sky is bright). You can manually select to use the flash and for this photo, it would have provided backlighting to give more contrast on the honeyeater.

I was killing some time this afternoon, so I went to the Mitre 10 after I bought the Candelabra from my local nursery. I found a 1.8m tall grevillea robusta in a 200mm pot for $14. Since it was in the perfect condition for grafting, I couldn't pass up the chance.

Cheers,
    GoldenWattle (#)
    GoldenWattle
    Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:10 am

GoldenWattle wrote: I found a 1.8m tall grevillea robusta in a 200mm pot for $14. Since it was in the perfect condition for grafting, I couldn't pass up the chance.

:mrgreen:
    Pam
    Garden Wizard

Postby grevs1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:59 pm

thank you for the advice.....GW
    unfortunately the birds don't stand still for long enough to re-adjust anything !!!! i am just happy they are on the picture at all..... lol.....
    don't worry ..a new camera is already on my wishlist.....as my little one is playing up anyway..!....
    but some of those honeyeater..boy they just zoom passed like little flashes....... no time to even consider anything..... !!! :(
    sometimes i try to hide under a grevillea but it only works to a certain degree........ hmmmm

ps: what are you going to graft on your new silky ????? ..... hopefully something exiting !!?....
    oh and before i forget.... no the green-leafed bif is a little bit different to the broadleafed one.....!
    grevs1
    Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:32 pm

grevs1 wrote:unfortunately the birds don't stand still for long enough to re-adjust anything !!!! i am just happy they are on the picture at all..... lol.....

I know what you mean. I think the smaller birds are very quick and dart around like lightning. I think luck is an important element of bird photography... :wink:

grevs1 wrote:ps: what are you going to graft on your new silky ????? ..... hopefully something exiting !!?....

I haven't decided yet. I might try thelemanniana. I'd love to try with tenuiloba, but I'll need to let your tube grow at least one season before I cut anything from it. There are plenty of others I'd like to try, but I need to let them put on some growth before I take any cuttings from them. Unfortunately my Billy Bonkers approach graft died after I cut it off from it's roots and I'd like to try again, but not until the stock plant grows a bit bigger. I tried a side graft with Thelemanniana on the same Robusta before we went on holidays and that didn't make it either. The advantage of the side graft is that you can tell quickly if it doesn't take (as opposed to the approach graft where both rootstock and scion look good because they both have their independent roots). After we came back I tried with Bronze Rambler and I'm still waiting to see how that goes. If it doesn't take, I don't think I'll be able to try again on that Robusta though.

I've done two low grafts - one with Lollypops and another with Bush Lemon. With both of them, the scions have maintained green leaves (whereas with the Thelemanniana, the leaves turned brown within 24 hours). I'm still waiting for new growth to show me they've taken, but the fact that leaves haven't gone brown is a positive sign. I tried a third one this afternoon with Treueriana - since the cuttings didn't work, I thought I'd see if I could get a graft to work.

I have a number of grevilleas I think would be good for making standards - Alpina, Charlie's Angel, Laurifolia (aka Blue Mountain Rambler) and potentially Gold Fingers. When I went to Weeping Grevillea, they had a Canberra Gem standard - not an obvious choice to me, but it looked good and I have one of those too. I'd love to have a Plurijuga mauve and a Ruby Red, but I think I'll try to get them sent to me from QLD. I'm not going to pay $40 for a Plurijuga and I haven't seen Ruby Red down here - in any event, my big spending is going to stop for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,
    GoldenWattle (#)
    GoldenWattle
    Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:00 pm

well GW
    looks like you have to get more rootstock to put all your choices on one !!!! ...lol

the thel. won't take as it is not compatible with robusta..needs an interstock !........
    and as i read ..you seem to leave leafs on the grafting-scion ?????....... don't..... it takes away too much energy for the scion to maintain..... it has to be leaf-less..... !! hint, hint..... lol :D
    sure you will have good results next time !!! (Y)
    grevs1
    Head Curator

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives