Grafted Grevillea Standards

A forum for discussions and questions related to propagating and caring for Australian native plants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack

Re: Grafted Grevillea Standards

Postby GoldenWattle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:20 pm

grevs1 wrote:the thel. won't take as it is not compatible with robusta..needs an interstock !........

I've heard that term before - interstock. What is it?

grevs1 wrote:you seem to leave leafs on the grafting-scion ?????....... don't..... it takes away too much energy for the scion to maintain..... it has to be leaf-less..... !! hint, hint..... lol :D

Well, this certainly comes as news to me. Intuitively, this goes against the grain of my own logic - which is that the leaves provide energy to the plant through photosynthesis. But then a graft isn't a cutting and the scion can get its energy from the rootstock. It still comes as a surprise, though. Does it matter if the section of stem selected has any buds on it or will a smooth, leafless section (cut at the top and bottom) work too?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:28 am

good morning GW

well first..interstock means...actually you have to do 2 grafts..first the interstock.....royalmantle works ok...so you graft the royal mantle on first and then the one you actually want !!! thats why some varieties are extra exy ! as it requires 2 grafts !

and to the leaves question..well you are correct by saying ..normally the leaves provides nutrition( as for a cutting the leaves keep the little cutting alive till it produses the callus and then the roots !)..but as you want the rootstock to provide the nutrition it has to be without leaves.... but yes it has to have tiny buds on ,just ready to burst open !!!! as they try to suck up the sap..therefore trying to "heal" the stem as fast as possible !!! so when you cut the leaves off you have to be extra careful not to damage the tiny buds !
best scion material is from a new shoot but not to old and not all green..... semi-hardened
and the rootstock has to be actively growing !!!........

and ps: i try to keep a lorikeet stuck on to one and send it...... hahahahaha :D :D
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:27 pm

took another picture of my pinl ice today.....
just amazing..more and more flowers are opening up.......
P8220002.JPG
pink ice 22/8/11
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:00 pm

Beautiful! How big does pink ice get again? Its got dark green foliage I see.... could be the lighting though.. ;)
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:08 pm

hi BT
the pink ice is about 2m i think ??? have to doublecheck..but i have it as a standard ! yes it does look lovely and it has a slight perfume as well !!! not as sweet as synapheae but more a honey smell !

look at the beaut flower-spikes on this one !!!.... is a low-graft but not a standard !
P8230068.JPG
magic wand !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:32 am

I only realised the other day that Honey Gem has a honey scent too.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:05 pm

I might have room for the Pink Ice actually... :D
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:21 pm

hi

just realized i forgot to show our lovely visitors my pride and joy...... guess was too busy chinwaging.....me...naaaaaa.... :roll: :D
anyway here is a picture of it....
the first flower for the season has appeared on my purple haze !!! .......... and the next flowerstems are just starting to shoot down...can't wait !!!!
P8270052-1.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:16 pm

the pink ice is really spreading out this year...lovely !

P9010008.JPG

and the flexuosa is opening more and more of its very perfumed flowers !!! LOVELY !

P9010019.JPG

and here is a close up of the flower :-)

P8300030.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:28 am

grevs1 wrote:hi

just realized i forgot to show our lovely visitors my pride and joy...... guess was too busy chinwaging.....me...naaaaaa.... :roll: :D
anyway here is a picture of it....
the first flower for the season has appeared on my purple haze !!! .......... and the next flowerstems are just starting to shoot down...can't wait !!!!
P8270052-1.JPG

its beautiful! Such a pity I didn't see it - will have to come visit soon :)
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby bottletree » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:32 am

Cute!!! Flexulosa looked pretty big when I was there - lots of flowers :)

My dog liked pink ice so much he tried to eat the flowers :/
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:40 am

hi BT
that sounds funny......maybe he likes flowers...but they are sweet..a bit like honey..so maybe he has a sweet-tooth, hey !!!

yes and about my pride and joy..the purple haze........... hm...my first flower there.....
you wouldn't believe it.....my friend came over and i wanted to show her...guess what............ a bird musst have snipped it off as it was laying on the floor.......... :shock: :(
i couldn't believe it...all the flowers here but no...they had to kill that one !!! typical............hmmmmm
oh well hopefully i will get more in a few weeks time.............so just have to be patient!!! :D
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:14 pm

grevs1 wrote:you wouldn't believe it.....my friend came over and i wanted to show her...guess what.... a bird musst have snipped it off as it was laying on the floor...

What did a wise grevillea propagator tell me about keeping watch over flower buds? :lol:

That's what you call Murphy's Law, Grevs... :shock: I'm sure your prized standard will put on a brilliant display in weeks to come. I've seen one in full bloom at a nursery some months ago and I agree that it's splendid and it's truly worthy of being someone's prize specimen!

Do you get many native bees?

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:30 pm

hahahaha :D

it happens that way......

and i have to say i never noticed native bees too much till the tenuiloba flowered !!!!! and the lana marie and now the flexuosa..they are everywhere......... lovely.....they musst prefer the more perfumed things..... lol

by the way the tenuiloba is still flowering but only a few more buds seem to be coming up...but as we discovered..april till september sure is a long time having colour on it...quite amazing really !!! have to say it sure is one of my favorites !!! :D

instead of working today...i had a "gardening-bug"......but my body is telling me i done too muxh...aches alright....i dug about 20 holes and planted more grevs into my garden...... a jester, orange marmelade, 2 driandris, 4 of my own seedlings ( all soft pink ones)
a dark red one and a autumn waterfall in a big pot and about 10 other things..pompom bush and a few fruit-trees on the edge....
but more unusual ones like jaboticaba and brasilian cherry (black) and just more bits and pieces..... goody !! while the soil was softer after the 2 1/2 inches we just had the other day......... but now am truly buggered !!! old age, you know ! :shock: :D
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:52 pm

grevs1 wrote:instead of working today...i had a "gardening-bug"...... but now am truly buggered !!! old age, you know ! :shock: :D

You're not the only one. I thought I could get the stump of a small multi-trunked tree / bush out within 3-4 hours, but I reckon I'm only a third of the way through (and I started the job the other day with a couple hours work). I want to plant my Orange Marmalade in that spot. I guess it was good that I started in shade of early morning and felt the sun progressively shine fully on the area. It gets full sun from midday onwards. I stopped at 1:30 and I was pretty buggered by that time. The hard labour will be rewarded when the OM matures and puts on it's stunning display!

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:12 am

grevs1 wrote:but more unusual ones like jaboticaba and brasilian cherry (black) and just more bits and pieces..... goody !!

I know where I'll find an excuse to go when the jaboticaba fruits.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby bottletree » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:57 am

grevs1 wrote:
instead of working today...i had a "gardening-bug"......but my body is telling me i done too muxh...aches alright....i dug about 20 holes and planted more grevs into my garden...... a jester, orange marmelade, 2 driandris, 4 of my own seedlings ( all soft pink ones)
a dark red one and a autumn waterfall in a big pot and about 10 other things..pompom bush and a few fruit-trees on the edge....
but more unusual ones like jaboticaba and brasilian cherry (black) and just more bits and pieces..... goody !! while the soil was softer after the 2 1/2 inches we just had the other day......... but now am truly buggered !!! old age, you know ! :shock: :D

You're better than me, don't think I could dig 20 holes in a day :) Today I am hoping to get a few more plants in... the cascading pink, deua and molonglo - and if I have time, the grafted ground-covery thing. But digging after all the wet weather is certainly alot easier than the during the dry winter we had.

Its a lovely day today for gardening :)

BT
bottletree
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:59 am

yes it is very satisfying to look at ones work, hey !
i just have to mulch my lot now.....have the bail of hay(roundbale) already there , just have to spread it ! goody
but will do that later this afternoon..as the sun is out already and i want to clean out the goat-house to get fertiliser for my fruit trees... :D ..
and as we bought 3 ducks yesterday we are "subdiving" a part of the little house so the ducks have their own little shelter !
as the goats are already stealing the grain from the ducks.....hmmmmm
sure don't take them long to discover where the foodbowls are !!!........

and i want to plant a few more things also...so i better get off here............. :wink:
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:17 pm

hi all
last year i stuck this grafted bonfire in and i keep clipping it back..i reckon it makes for a lovely feature-tree!
what do you guys think ???? :D

P9020003.JPG
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby bottletree » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am

It's lovely Grevs ;) Don't remember seeing that one though!

My Grev. Cherry Pie (dwarf elegance) is flowering now, just lovely! The Bonfire I have is also about to flower - but its only a tiny cutting... They are so pretty!
bottletree
Senior Curator

PreviousNext

Return to Australian Natives