native fish.

A Forum for discussion of water gardening including ponds, bogs, bowls, fountains and waterfalls. The scope ranges from design and construction, associated plants, fish and wildlife, maintenance and simple enjoyment.

Moderators: Forum_mod, ColinM

native fish.

Postby charlie_bruno » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:12 pm

I've read somewhere that I can put native fish in my pond that will eat mosquito larvae but not tadpoles, does anyone know anything about this?
charlie_bruno
Senior Curator

Re: native fish.

Postby justjane1 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:01 pm

This site is quite informative...

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/faq.html
justjane1
Weeder

Postby Wildernessdream » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:31 pm

I have a 5m x 3m garden pond and have had several frogs develope from tadpoles. I now have Eastern Rainbows (plain little silver fish) and Mountain Clouds. Bought them to help get rid of a massive introduction of water snails from plants I bought. I am a newbie and didn't suspect these expensive water lillies, poppys and fringe lilllies needed cleaning first! They seem to be leaving the taddies alone. I can now only find 1 little green frog (had 3 plus 4 little brown with striped side frogs) but I hear frogs at night. A Crane/stork whatever he is has been visiting the pond and I am concerned he might have eaten some of these fish and baby frogs. Plus a Mountain Cloud turned up in the bio-filter box - so I suffered some losses. :cry:
I want to breed frogs so what other fish will leave the taddies alone? We have erected some shade cloth over the shallow end because the water got quite hot after a heatwave. I am in Nth NSW. I also have a sluge problem and a bit too much algae. Any suggestions would be helpful
Wildernessdream
Apprentice

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:08 am

Wildernessdream wrote: A Crane/stork whatever he is has been visiting the pond and I am concerned he might have eaten some of these fish and baby frogs.

They can certainly do some damage to numbers, Wildernessdream. You can be sure if it's visiting the pond it's not for the views. Is it a feasible option for you to put a layer of mesh below the surface perhaps?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Wildernessdream, what's a 'Mountain Cloud'?
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Quenda » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:19 am

Minnow.
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby ColinM » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 am

Whatever you do, don't waste money on plastic owls :lol: :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby bubba louie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 am

Quenda wrote:Minnow.

What exactly is a minnow? I hope you don't mean Gambusia.

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/pests ... innows.htm
Last edited by bubba louie on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:28 am

Wildernessdream wrote:I have a 5m x 3m garden pond and have had several frogs develope from tadpoles. I now have Eastern Rainbows (plain little silver fish) and Mountain Clouds. Bought them to help get rid of a massive introduction of water snails from plants I bought. I am a newbie and didn't suspect these expensive water lillies, poppys and fringe lilllies needed cleaning first! They seem to be leaving the taddies alone. I can now only find 1 little green frog (had 3 plus 4 little brown with striped side frogs) but I hear frogs at night. A Crane/stork whatever he is has been visiting the pond and I am concerned he might have eaten some of these fish and baby frogs. Plus a Mountain Cloud turned up in the bio-filter box - so I suffered some losses. :cry:
I want to breed frogs so what other fish will leave the taddies alone? We have erected some shade cloth over the shallow end because the water got quite hot after a heatwave. I am in Nth NSW. I also have a sluge problem and a bit too much algae. Any suggestions would be helpful

Pacific Blue Eye.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:31 am

ColinM wrote:Whatever you do, don't waste money on plastic owls :lol: :lol:

Or plastic snakes!!!
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Quenda » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:16 pm

bubba louie wrote:

Not Gambusia....a diferent kettle of ....fish.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Clou ... ain_minnow
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby bubba louie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Quenda wrote:
bubba louie wrote:

Not Gambusia....a diferent kettle of ....fish.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Clou ... ain_minnow

That's a relief. :lol:
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby AdamBorzy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:51 pm

You can stop feeding your fish for a few days so they can eat mosquito larvae. :lol: :lol:
But seriously get a western mosquitofish (also known as freshwater fish, Gambusia affinis).
AdamBorzy
Groundsperson

Postby bubba louie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:44 pm

AdamBorzy wrote:You can stop feeding your fish for a few days so they can eat mosquito larvae. :lol: :lol:
But seriously get a western mosquitofish (also known as freshwater fish, Gambusia affinis).

GASP, SPLUTTER, FAINTS WITH SHOCK. :evil:
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:59 am

Breath, Bubba! lol

Unless I'm mistaken, I think what you meant to say is that gambusia are a declared species (that will kill off native species,) and illegal to keep, and that no one should EVER introduce them to their pond or any other waterway?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Water Gardens