Black Beetles

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Black Beetles

Postby te3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could please help me. I find i have black beetle in my garden especially a lot of larval. They attack my plants at the roots which forces me to throw them out. I have used Professor Mac's 3 in 1 lawn & garden in my garden & i have planted Marigold's & Mustard through out it as well but none of it seems to help.

My garden is organic so i don't want to use chemicals for a resolution.

Does anyone have any tips for me?
te3
Propagator

Re: Black Beetles

Postby Woko » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi te3. I'm no organic gardening expert but I do try to encourage wildife to solve a lot of my gardening problems. I note that you live in Sydney which is well within the range of the Bassian thrush, a terrestrial bird which fossicks around in the dirt seeking all sorts of bugs, beetles, worms & other goodies & is advantaged by lots of leaf litter. I'm wondering if you have this bird species nearby or whether you're in a position to encourage it into your garden where it might predate the black beetles which are harrassing the roots of your plants. It's unfortunate that, in our wisdom, we've discouraged the Bassian thrush & encouraged the feral black bird which in many places now occupies the ecological niche of the Bassian thrush.
Woko
Curator

Postby te3 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi Woko!

No we don't get either birds here. It's sad i've never seen these birds either. I always have 4 Indian miner birds which are constantly around, a magpie which comes around but mainly collects the bugs from the lawn & unfortunately doesn't venture into my garden. I found a lot of the curl grubs deep into the soil, which maybe they don't get too. It's just frustrating as my plants don't last & i'm starting to feel that any effort is just a waste. I do leave the other bugs & lizards alone in the garden as they don't do any harm to the plants themselves.
te3
Propagator

Postby Wanderer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:19 pm

A couple of chooks?
Pyrethrum spray?
Take my advice..... I don't use it anyway.
Wanderer
Curator

Postby Woko » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Ah! That's a shame te3. What do you think about Wanderer's suggestions?

I'm wondering if you have anywhere you could take the black beetles for identification. An entomologist at your state museum, perhaps That might then give you a clue as to what control methods might be most helpful.

And too bad about the Indian mynas(they're a real pest! ) but great that you have Australian magpies.
Woko
Curator

Postby tam » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Lawn grub spray may help.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Woko » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Would that be toxic to wildlife, tam?
Woko
Curator

Postby te3 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Will be getting chooks in time, just not yet. The only downfall is they are deep in the soil which chooks probably won't get.
I might check out Yates Baythroid http://www.yates.com.au/products/pest-c ... baythroid/ i am worried it
will do damage. Not a fan of chemicals in my vegie patch.
te3
Propagator

Postby Wanderer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:33 pm

te3 wrote:The only downfall is they are deep in the soil which chooks probably won't get.

Oh yes they will :wink: Chooks can be very determined when it comes to a free feed
Please don't use anything too toxic if you are going to have chooks scratching around in that area in the near future.

Maybe try some vinegar?
I've been using this on leeches lately instead of salt and it works a treat. And doesn't leave a white residue.
Maybe just not too much around plants?
But at least it is non toxic :wink:
Take my advice..... I don't use it anyway.
Wanderer
Curator

Postby te3 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:24 pm

I use to have chickens, i know how deep they get but when the grubs are shovel deep & beyond i'm worried the chickens won't get them.
I need to use something that won't dry out my soil, which i am able to water in as i was looking at doing 2 sections of my garden when i pull out the remainder crops so they are grub free for winter than during winter i can do the other two parts of my garden so they're ready for spring. I might pull a few of them out next time i garden & place them in a container to see what vinegar will do. Fingers crossed it works & won't damage my soil. Thanks for the vinegar tip.
te3
Propagator

Postby te3 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Just so everyone can see what i am talking about with the grubs.
Attachments
IMG_2041.JPG
Just so everyone can see what i am talking about with the grubs.
te3
Propagator

Postby Getafix » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:53 pm

What plants are you having the problems with? If the grubs really are as deep down as you say they are, it may not be them causing the problem? Most times when curl grubs are causing problems, it's with pot plants where the roots are a captive audience. In a garden bed there should be enough room for both roots and grubs, especially when you get down to a spade depth. The roots of a lot of plants won't go that deep.
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Postby Getafix » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Besides, if you are going to spray anything, in order to get an effective concentration that deep down, you will have to apply it in bucket loads, and probably kill a whole lot of other things closer to the surface, possibly including the plants you are trying to protect

Getafix
Curator

Postby te3 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:07 pm

It's the bugs causing the problem as i find them amongst the plant roots, there is so many of them they go deep i don't know why.
I have never had this problem with these grubs in my garden as severe as this before. I wasn't planning on planting in the area's i want to treat as
i want to eliminate the grubs.
They have attacked my sunflowers to veggies & even my watermelon again :(
As you can see with the sunflower on the right, that looks like its dying, this is how my plant's deteriorate when they're attacked by the grubs :(
Attachments
IMG_2030_phixr.jpg
te3
Propagator

Postby te3 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Ok so i tried vinegar & didn't work.
I even tried soap liquid & that didn't do anything either.

Anyone who has had any success?
te3
Propagator

Postby JNarelle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi te3, here is another thread about these little pests, see if there's anything there that can help :)

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15074
JNarelle
Curator

Postby te3 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Oh thanks! I will give it a go if it ever stops raining :?
Hopefully it helps :)
te3
Propagator

Postby Getafix » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:24 pm

Do sunflowers really have feeder roots down to a shovel depth? Ones i've grown tend to be much more superficial than that. Getting rid of curl grubs that deep down might be tricky. Maybe you could try controlling the adult beetle stage and that might keep the number of larvae down next season? Having said that, i don't know what the best beetle control method is...a bright light and a can of bug spray?!

Getafix
Curator

Postby nelson castro » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:05 pm

There are many types of beetles that are beneficial to a garden, such as ladybugs, but one in particular can cause harm. Small black beetles that eat the leaves on plants are known as flea beetles. These pests attack all types of plants from ornamental flowers to willow trees, but they seem to have a special preference for seedlings in a vegetable garden.

Insecticides can be used to control flea beetles, especially those attacking seedlings. Look for insecticides that contain carbaryl, permethrin, spinosad or endosulfan. To avoid the use of pesticides, try planting a small sacrificial crop of another vegetable that flea beetles are highly attracted to, such as radishes for western flea beetles. Allow the flea beetles to eat this crop rather than other vegetables. An insect vacuum can also be effective on small infestations. Simply vacuum the pests off the leaves. :wink:
nelson castro
Gardener

Postby te3 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:12 pm

The bugs are in the soil and I still have them even though I get rid of them and feed them to the birds :)
They eat any of the plants I grow, corn, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, sunflower, corn etc I used the photo of
the sunflower for the example as it was best to show what happens to the plants once attacked by the grubs.

If anyone finds out any details of any solutions, you know where to find me :)
te3
Propagator

Next

Return to Plant & Pest ID