Pumpkin question

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Pumpkin question

Postby DaveMoore » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:26 am

Hi all,

I have a late crop of beautiful Butternut Pumpkin. The problem I have noticed recently is that the leaves have developed powdery mildew. Whilst the ladybugs love it, I don't. Has anyone got any organic remedies for getting rid of this problem? The leaves are yellowing and I have a few decent sized fruits on this plant that I want to harvest before the cooler weather kicks in.

Thanks in advance
DaveMoore
Propagator

Re: Pumpkin question

Postby elijan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 pm

The suggested remedy is one part light milk to one part water mix together ,spray at dusk for 4-5 days.
elijan
Lawn trimmer

Postby nelson castro » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:42 pm

elijan wrote:The suggested remedy is one part light milk to one part water mix together ,spray at dusk for 4-5 days.

In addition to that, spray pumpkins infected with powdery mildew every 3 to 4 days until the white fungus is gone. And as a preventative measure spray uninfected pumpkins with the milk and water solution every 7 to 10 days.
nelson castro
Gardener

Postby greg.l » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:49 am

Organic remedies are only good for preventing the problem, they won't cure mildew once the plants are infected. I think wettable sulfur is counted as organic.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby gardenlen » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:17 am

g'dat dave,

we generally only harvest pumpkins when the vines die at the end of the season, we grow kent/jap's all the time so would treat BN's the same.

now powdery mildew, our experience is never water over the foliage roots watering only, plant where they will get maximum sun say no less than 6hrs, ours get full sun, until late arvo'. a good watering once or twice a week, pumpkins will always wilt in the heat of the day but if they rejuvenate late arvo' then they have enough moisture, and in a well mulched (6" or 8") position that will also keep their root runs cooler. for us then PM only occurs on oldest leave at times when the plant is reaching the end of its production run and running out of resistance. we not only plant in full sun but also where there is plenty of breeze, and water evening in summer.

the PM won't affect mature ripening fruit.

we invite you to peruse our web site:

len
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
May You Find Serenity and Tranquillity In
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au
gardenlen
Gardening Sage

Postby DaveMoore » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions. Will let you know how it goes. So far, looks like only one Butternut pumpkin- oh well, better than none!

Cheers
DaveMoore
Propagator

Postby nelson castro » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:07 pm

The pleasure is ours, we are very much happy to know that we did help you. :wink:
nelson castro
Gardener

Return to Fruit and Produce