Name/Treatment These Weeds?

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Name/Treatment These Weeds?

Postby abrogard » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Can anyone please identify these weeds for me?

You can't see it in my photos but they're growing amongst my onions/chives and cabbages/lettuces so I'd also like to know if they can be sprayed with something that will kill them but not the vegetables round about.

DSCF2670 [640x480].jpg

DSCF2668 [640x480].jpg
abrogard
Curator

Re: Name/Treatment These Weeds?

Postby Woko » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:05 pm

Abrogard, I'm confident the second photo is of Kidney Weed Dichondra repens, a native herb. You're fortunate to have it growing in your garden as it's one of those many native understorey plants that is scarce in urban environments. I doubt it will cause your vegetables any grief.
Woko
Curator

Postby abrogard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks. I think you're right.

I googled it. Looks like I'm fairly well stuck with it. Might go with the flow and try get it into the lawn especially the bald spots. I guess it'll find it's way there anyway... I'll throw all the stuff I pulled yesterday out onto the lawn and water it in. Maybe it'll strike.

We'll just see how it goes in amongst the vegies. It does throw many roots down but they're not too deep. Clear a space and plant seedlings in amongst it.. maybe it won't smother or starve them. We'll see.
abrogard
Curator

Postby karyn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:57 am

I'd just hand weed the other stuff from your onions. Onions don't like competition. I never use weed killer in my vegie garden, so hand weeding works for me!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Woko wrote:Abrogard, I'm confident the second photo is of Kidney Weed Dichondra repens, a native herb. You're fortunate to have it growing in your garden as it's one of those many native understorey plants that is scarce in urban environments. I doubt it will cause your vegetables any grief.

Anything BUT scarce here. It takes over. :evil:
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby tam » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Yes it is a horrid weed. A small piece broken off soon regrows.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby abrogard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:43 pm

Well I've broken off millions of bits I'd say.

I turned the ground to slush so's I could get my fingers in and hook it up and out but still many roots broke off, much breakage all around.

It is not really an 'onion' bed, I just call it that. It is spring onion, chives, garlic chives, chinese celery, garlic - anything I call 'onion like'.

I suppose none of those things would like competition either?

The ground around and between them was fairly carpeted with this stuff. Given the breakages it will be again soon then. I'd better look for some kind of killer I can paint on the stuff.

Here's a better picture of that other weed I enquired about:

DSCF2707 [640x480].jpg
abrogard
Curator

Return to Plant & Pest ID