Pest I.D - Herbs & Veg

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Pest I.D - Herbs & Veg

Postby jessmess » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi All,

So I have had a good look at my plants to find any naughty predators.
I found a big fat green caterpillar on my basil, the little so and so!! Here's a picture. I immediately removed him and let my dog play with him.
Anybody know what he is? How to prevent anymore, or is it just a matter of being vigilant and squishing the suckers?
IMG_0778.JPG

Can anybody tell me if these little white dots are eggs of some kind?
IMG_0775.JPG

And I found a little cocoon looking thing on the back of my cauli leaf, if anyone has any clue about this.
IMG_0773.JPG
jessmess
Cultivator

Re: Pest I.D - Herbs & Veg

Postby jessmess » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Oh and this little guy was running around, anyone know if he's good or bad? I attempted to squish him as my herbs are being eaten pretty rapidly.
IMG_0779.JPG

I have read through some fact sheets on ABC's Gardening Australia, and I placed out a tuna tin with oil and soy sauce in case there are earwigs about, that should take care of them.
Hopefully with anybody's help, I may be able to cover all bases.
jessmess
Cultivator

Postby bubba louie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:42 pm

jessmess wrote:Oh and this little guy was running around, anyone know if he's good or bad? I attempted to squish him as my herbs are being eaten pretty rapidly.
IMG_0779.JPG

I have read through some fact sheets on ABC's Gardening Australia, and I placed out a tuna tin with oil and soy sauce in case there are earwigs about, that should take care of them.
Hopefully with anybody's help, I may be able to cover all bases.

A cockroach of some kind. He won't hurt your plants.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby greg.l » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:21 am

That caterpillar looks amazing, it would pupate into a big butterfly. I think it would be better to relocate it, you might see what it hatches into.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:30 pm

greg.l wrote:That caterpillar looks amazing, it would pupate into a big butterfly. I think it would be better to relocate it, you might see what it hatches into.

Don't get too excited Greg. I'm sure they are a moth. They're pretty common here.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby bubba louie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:33 pm

jessmess wrote:Hi All,

So I have had a good look at my plants to find any naughty predators.
I found a big fat green caterpillar on my basil, the little so and so!! Here's a picture. I immediately removed him and let my dog play with him.
Anybody know what he is? How to prevent anymore, or is it just a matter of being vigilant and squishing the suckers?
IMG_0778.JPG

Can anybody tell me if these little white dots are eggs of some kind?
IMG_0775.JPG

And I found a little cocoon looking thing on the back of my cauli leaf, if anyone has any clue about this.
IMG_0773.JPG

Did the grub have a hard spiky tail?
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby jessmess » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:17 pm

I didn't notice a spiky tail at all no.. unless it was very small and I simply just didn't see it..
jessmess
Cultivator

Postby jessmess » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:20 pm

I just had an idea to google image search 'cabbage moth caterpillar', and the images results mostly showed exactly the caterpillar I was dealing with yesterday.

http://www.meades.org/photos_from_the_garden/caterpillar_3.jpg
jessmess
Cultivator

Postby greg.l » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:59 am

I'm a big fan of all caterpillars, moths and butterflies in the garden. They may turn into something beautiful or just be food for a bird. The white cabbage butterflies are very pretty, if their caterpillars are eating some vegies I put them onto something more suitable, like some honesty or something in the cabbage family. Now I see lots of birds going around my garden collecting food for their babies, big fat caterpillars are very welcome.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby jessmess » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Very true Greg.
Certainly something to be mindful about in the future.
I found a bug on my lemon tree yesterday, I put him out in the garden. I got a picture. Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_7224.jpg
jessmess
Cultivator

Postby karyn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:34 pm

Apart from the cabbage moths, I'd leave them all be. Unless you have enormous numbers, most insects do little harm. I net my broccoli, and that limits (but doesn't stop) the cabbage moths from laying eggs. I've had problems with large numbers of harlequin bugs in the past, but everything else seems balanced. In my opinion, and it's not an expert one, when you start using sprays to remove one insect, others take its spot, and numbers get unbalanced. It's a bit like killing every spider you see, then wondering why you have lots of mosquitoes. As for the cabbage moth caterpillar, I pick them off and feed them to the chooks, when I can be bothered. Or just net your brassicas, without the net touching any part of the plant.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby greg.l » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:04 pm

I don't think those beetles are harmful, more likely beneficial. Not one to worry about.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:05 am

It's not what I know as a cabbage moth, mine aren't as big and are sort of velvety.
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Return to Plant & Pest ID