Is this Radermachera sinica (China Doll)?

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Is this Radermachera sinica (China Doll)?

Postby heli » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:41 pm

I have a tree in the back yard near the fence. I suspect it is damaging my path as that part of the path looks raised a bit.

I have cut the main stem, leaving behind a 27cm-diameter stump, but a lot of new thin stems shoot up from the stump. There are also two 6cm diameter stems that were not cut, and now they are about 6 metres tall.

These are the new shoots from the stump, behind these shoots are the stump:

The two stems that grow to 6 metres tall:

The bark and leaves:

The roots:

A closer look at the leaves:
heli
Propagator

Re: Is this Radermachera sinica (China Doll)?

Postby chocolate » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Your plant is ... pandorea ricasoliana,I have one and yes it is a very tough plant.I have cut it down to the ground several times but it just comes up laughing,the flower is rather nice though.
Mine is not in a position to do any damage so I cant help you there,I am sure someone will come along and tell you.
chocolate
Curator

Postby bubba louie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 pm

chocolate wrote:Your plant is ... pandorea ricasoliana,I have one and yes it is a very tough plant.I have cut it down to the ground several times but it just comes up laughing,the flower is rather nice though.
Mine is not in a position to do any damage so I cant help you there,I am sure someone will come along and tell you.

But isn't that a climber?

I wouldn't rule out the china doll.

http://classes.hortla.wsu.edu/hort232/l ... ermach.jpg
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby chocolate » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:38 am

Yes pandorea ricasoliana is sold as a climber but when it is continually cut down to the ground it comes up like a fountain and fast.
This is mine this morning, it clambers rather than climbs.
Attachments
010.JPG
009.JPG
008.JPG
chocolate
Curator

Postby heli » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks, guys, I do not remember my tree flowered like that. I guess it is China Doll. I'll wait to see it flower and then will know for sure.
heli
Propagator

Postby tam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

It is a China Doll. We cut one out of our back garden that was causing problems.
A couple of the roots were as big as the trunk and many others were 10cm thick. We poisoned it a couple of times and it didn't make any difference, just sent out new shoots.
Hubby dug down below soil level and we ended up getting a stump grinder to get rid of it.
Where it is, it will lift your pavers and probably buckle your fence.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby heli » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:43 pm

tam wrote:It is a China Doll. We cut one out of our back garden that was causing problems.
A couple of the roots were as big as the trunk and many others were 10cm thick. We poisoned it a couple of times and it didn't make any difference, just sent out new shoots.
Hubby dug down below soil level and we ended up getting a stump grinder to get rid of it.
Where it is, it will lift your pavers and probably buckle your fence.

Thanks, that's decided then, I will cut it all down and try poison first.
heli
Propagator

Postby tam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:26 pm

The wood is not hard to cut. I would have a dig under the all roots that you can find and using an axe cut through them.
Mine had broms growing on the trunk so we had a stump of around a mtr long that we placed under the trees near the dam. It put out shoots for around 4 mths. We actually tipped the trunk to make sure it wasn't taking root again. lol
The flowers are a white trumpet followed by a long bean that has about a thousand seed in it and spreads and grows anywhere. :(
I still find them coming up after a couple of years.
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Plant & Pest ID