Is this weed or grass?

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Is this weed or grass?

Postby heli » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:09 am

I'm thinking of hand weeding my lawn, and need to be able to identify what is in my lawn. There are a lot of this kind of grass in my lawn, I wonder if they are weeds or if they are my grass?
Attachments
weedorgrass.jpg
Weed or grass
heli
Propagator

Re: Is this weed or grass?

Postby greg.l » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:58 am

looks like couch to me, though I'm not certain. Couch can be a terrible weed in garden beds, fusillade spray will kill it but not in lawn or it will kill the rest of the grass as well.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby heli » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:35 am

greg.l wrote:looks like couch to me, though I'm not certain. Couch can be a terrible weed in garden beds, fusillade spray will kill it but not in lawn or it will kill the rest of the grass as well.

Bunnings warehouse sells "Blue couch" as lawn seeds. Is it similar to couch as weed?
heli
Propagator

Postby bubba louie » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:35 pm

heli wrote:
greg.l wrote:looks like couch to me, though I'm not certain. Couch can be a terrible weed in garden beds, fusillade spray will kill it but not in lawn or it will kill the rest of the grass as well.

Bunnings warehouse sells "Blue couch" as lawn seeds. Is it similar to couch as weed?

Couch is a popular lawn grass but some consider it a weed because of it's tendency to invade beds. Same with kikuyu.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Return to Plant & Pest ID