Yellow leaves on apple trees

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Yellow leaves on apple trees

Postby justjoyful » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:24 am

These apple trees of mine are being an education! Maybe I'm being paranoid about them, but since I'm so new to fruit tree care, I'd rather ask than not, just in case.

Anyway, my current concern is that my 2 apple trees, which have quite a lot of fruit on them, have yellowing leaves. At first it was just a few leaves, but it does seem to be getting worse. I also have an apricot tree, peach tree and pear tree, but none of them have yellow leaves.

As for what I've done to the trees lately, I've put corrugated cardboard around the trunk and a couple of main branches (for the codling moth), and some horticultural glue around the trunk on grafting tape so it isn't on the trunk itself (also for the codling moth, but also the ants). I've watered with seasol, and also with worm wee (diluted).

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Or is this normal?
justjoyful
Propagator

Re: Yellow leaves on apple trees

Postby greg.l » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:59 pm

The problem is the heatwave. A lot of trees are dropping leaves due to the extended hot dry spell. All you can do is keep the water up to them, even then they will still lose a few leaves. Rain predicted soon thankfully.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Re: Yellow leaves on apple trees

Postby justjoyful » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks, Greg. This might seem weird, but that was what I was hoping it was. At least it isn't anymore more drastic.
justjoyful
Propagator

Return to Fruit and Produce