Raspberries

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

Raspberries

Postby Brewer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:34 pm

I have a 'spare' row along the eastern side of my orchard, and I am thinking of devoting it to raspberries.

I've never grown them but I've read a little bit, and by golly it sounds complicated! In winter tie up this year's primocanes but cut out last year's, that's on the summer bearers, on the autumn bearers you want to cut them all back to the ground. Or something like that.

Anyway, my question is about planting multiple varieties in the same row. I know that being brambles they will want to spread along the row towards each other, so I want to know how much effort I need to put into keeping them apart. Do I need to keep them all very separate, ie. metres apart, in order to know which varieties are which, or can I happily let them all grow together in a mixed row? Will the canes of summer and autumn-bearers be immediately distinguishable on sight, or do I need to allocate clearly defined sections for each so I know what to cut?

If I do need to keep them separate, then I'll need to enforce a 'no-mans land' between them, where all growth gets removed. How big should this be? 1 metre? 2? 5? 10?
Brewer
Propagator

Re: Raspberries

Postby tam » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:39 pm

I have a mtr square garden for mine. After they fruit, down the track I cut that cane out as it wont bear again.
I can't see any reason not to grow them together.
tam
Gardening Sage

Re: Raspberries

Postby Systema_Naturae » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:34 pm

They do sucker like mad, particularly once they're a couple of years old.

Once your have them in for a couple of years you'll be able to tell the fruiting canes from the immature cane on sight. One is essentially woody and the other not - you cut out the woody canes after they've fruited. You prune them in winter so there's little chance you'll cut out anything that's going to fruit the next year. A tip is to prune the tips off the canes when they leaf out in their second year - this will encourage little branchlets that will produce more flowers, and more fruit!

Some Summer bearers will crop in autumn as well, sometimes called ever-bearing varieties, though not as heavily. Chilicoton and chiliwak are good ever-bearers.

Just make sure you net them well - the birds go crazy for them. You'll have kilos of fruit by the sounds of it! They're prolific producers.
Systema_Naturae
Curator

Return to Fruit and Produce