Plant/weed ID

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Plant/weed ID

Postby pjr881 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:18 am

Hi guys. First post.

I'm in Newcastle, NSW (2hrs north of Sydney) and I've been noticing an increasing amount of this small-leafed, flat, spreading grass/weed on my place. In googling, the closest i could get to a match was ?some sort of Lippia but it doesn't match exactly.

Main reason for my concern is that it doesn't appear to sensitive to glyphosate at the standard spraying concentration (5-10mL roundup/Lin a sprayer). All the grass around it has died and it lives on! Can you help me ID and recommend the best way to get rid of it? Maybe I need stronger concentration or direct application of concentrate to the leaves?

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

I'm a hopeless gardener and i've exhausted my googling so I'd appreciate your help.

Many thanks.

Pete
pjr881
Apprentice

Re: Plant/weed ID

Postby christinek » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Pete.
It does look a bit like lippia. Why do you think it isn't?
If it isn't lippia (Phyla canescens) then it might be the related phyla (Phyla nodiflora). Both can be lawn pests.

You will get a better result controlling lippia with glyphosate if the ground is very wet. If the ground wasn't really wet when you sprayed it then wet it and try the glyphosate again. If you don't see a result within a week try again, soak the soil and spray with glyphosate at a slightly higher rate.
Bye,
Christine
christinek
Weeder

Re: Plant/weed ID

Postby pjr881 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks Christine. I thought that lippia didn't grow as flat and that central flower also put me off that. Thanks for the tip re: wetting soil, i assume that's because the lippia goes inactive in dry soil or something?

Pete
pjr881
Apprentice

Return to Plant & Pest ID