Lettuce?

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Lettuce?

Postby Kieran F » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:35 am

Sup all, just wanted someone to look at these following plants and tell me what you think

this first one
i thought this was some sort of lettuce, because that's what i planted in the area, but now i'm not as sure because it's showing up away from the area i planted it (about a meter away)
i actually ate some of this already, thinking it was some sort of lettuce (or other salad vegetable that might be labeled such), didn't die from it, it tasted a little grassier than other lettuces i've has, but yeah, anyway, what do you guys think?

this one is a weed that grows in all of my beds, not sure what it is, i think i looked it up at one point, and what i found was said to be edible, didn't try it just incase my ID was wrong
what do you guys think? it's most prolific in my salad/leaf vegetable garden, so if it's edible, it might be worth putting it in a salad or something rather than just wasting it

also, i was planning on planting out another lettuce bed, i figure it might be good to start a cycle, would there be any problems doing so considering we're already part way into the season?

thanks
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Re: Lettuce?

Postby Kieran F » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:38 am

Oh yeah, also, the plants in the first image have begun flowering, hoping to promote vegetative growth, i've been pulling out as much of them as i could (it's hard to get all the tiny flowers out of the plant), any suggestions on this? i was hoping also that damaging the growing tip would promote it to become more bushy

i've also been feeding them every so often with aquasol liquid fertiliser
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby greg.l » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:46 am

I can see one lettuce plant on the LHS. The rest look like weeds, I would pull them out. I raise lettuce seedlings in a pot, then transplant them, I get better success that way.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby Kieran F » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Very strange, i haven't seen this weed spread around the garden beds, only in this one bed, i thought it might just be a different leaf vegetable because the packet i used said "salad bowl mix" or something like that.., also very few of the normal cos/fancy lettuce type lettuces came up

well anyway, i'll plant a new bed today and see how it goes
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby kombi69 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:53 pm

steel rule image looks like purslane, but it usually has red stalks, apparently edible
kombi69
Head Gardener

Postby tam » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:11 pm

Is the first plant Amaranth? I can see a couple of lettuce in there and also a tomato plant.
The second one I call pigface but I don't think that is the correct name.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby Kieran F » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:31 pm

amaranth, hmm, google images looks similar (or atleast results for "green amaranth"), i have one of these plants (i think) seperated into a pot, it has a spike of flowers similar to what i've seen on google images

is it edible?

also, the other image, the "purslane" (thats what i got the first time i searched it up, i remember that now), some of the stems are red, some green, i think that it might vary depending on light exposure like certain other plants

also(again), there is 2 tomato plants in the bed, i guess thet sprouted from compost... no reason to remove them, just enjoy, also possibly mustard greens somewhere hidden in there too, not sure if they came up though
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby greg.l » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:49 am

I once bought a seed packet of mixes salad leaves, they all came up as rocket, I hate rocket.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby bubba louie » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:47 pm

tam wrote:Is the first plant Amaranth? I can see a couple of lettuce in there and also a tomato plant.
The second one I call pigface but I don't think that is the correct name.

We call it pig weed.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Kieran F » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:57 pm

such a shame lol, i thought i was cultivating some nice salad, owell, from google, it seems like amaranth is edible, so maybe i'll just let it grow and add it to salads

i planted some more of the seed mix in another bed, will see if more amaranth comes up, also ordered some nice plain red/green cos seeds, and will probably also plant basil
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Return to Plant & Pest ID