Banksia issues

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Sam, Bulbinella

Banksia issues

Postby LAdd » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:57 am

Hi all. I've been having long running issues with the banksias in my garden in particular. The soil is clay and around 7.5ph which is not an ideal place to start. When the garden went in about 5 years ago the soil was turned a few times and gypsum added to break it up. The consistency doesn't look too bad now although I still question how well it actually drains. I think that's what brings me here. Initially I thought the issues were deficiency related, so I was occasionally adding supplements (low phosphorus), especially iron and also a little ammonium sulphate to try and counter the ph and possible nitrogen drawdown from the woodchip mulch. Now I'm starting to wonder if it maybe more fungal related. Little Eric over a couples of years became dead Eric (although it started extremely well). The grevilleas seem to be doing reasonably ok and the callistemon I have in there looks ok but not fantastic. The symptoms are probably best described by the photos. Any thoughts and ideas highly appreciated :)
Attachments
4.jpg
banksia spinulosa leaf drop on inner stems and no growth
2.jpg
banksia blechnifolia leaves
1.jpg
Pulled the mulch away...Not sure if the base of the trunk should look like this?
LAdd
Weeder

Re: Banksia issues

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:57 am

The addition of sulphur will help to bring your PH down. If it is too high, nutrients required by the plant will be locked up in the soil and unavailable to your plants.

I've looked into every deficiency I can think of, but I tend to agree with you that it's probably fungal . I'd be giving it a dose of Anti Rot.

This might also be of use to you
http://www.yuruga.com.au/yuruga-info-sh ... yellowing/
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby LAdd » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi Pam. Thank you for the link. I have used iron chelates with not much success and I did use a little urea about a month ago, as at that time I was worried it may have been a nitrogen issue. I also gave them a dose of anti rot about three weeks ago now. I can't say if it helped but I don't think anything is worse. Can you tell me how often anti rot should be applied? Also is it only a preventative measure or will it help reverse fungal problems over time?
LAdd
Weeder

Postby Pam » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:21 am

I'm not sure on the frequency that it needs to be applied sorry but I know it stops affected plants dying that otherwise would have done so.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby LAdd » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:59 pm

That's ok I appreciate the help :D . Just with the sulphur....I don't want to damage anything in the garden by being too overzealous. I read somewhere that sulphur works slowly over time and to use it once in spring and then again at the end of summer....does this sound correct? Also I used it very sparingly so I'm not sure where the line is between using enough to slowly alter the ph and using an amount that may damage the plants. The bag gives information for vegetables and fruit trees but I'm just not sure if this would be the same quantity to use to change the ph for natives?
LAdd
Weeder

Postby tam » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:21 pm

Have you thought og buying a Native fertiliser as that should be balanced for your plants.
I have clay soil and have no trouble growing these plants. Are you giving them a good soak now & then if you have no rain?
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby LAdd » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi Tam. I have osmocote slow release for natives. I have also bought some powerfeed for natives. I think when I put the garden in around 5 years ago I was a bit heavy handed with the water and the plants weren't liking it. I think back then I was watering once every week to two weeks and watering deeply. Now I've backed way off. Maybe too much I'm not sure. To be honest I'm still not sure how often these should be watered. The soil doesn't feel dry. It feels slightly damp...but definitely not wet. How often do you recommend watering when there has not been rain?
LAdd
Weeder

Return to Plant & Pest ID