A good climber for pool area?

This is the general garden forum where you can search existing messages for answers to your questions or post a new message for others to reply to. Use the topic specific forums where appropriate.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam

A good climber for pool area?

Postby adakon » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Hi Everyone

I've got a 1 metre wide area against a colourbond fence (1.8m high) that has a planting area of around 15cm from the fence to the pavers.

I'm after a climber with glossy leaves that's appropriate for a pool area. I love Mandevillas but my wife isn't keen.

The nursery suggested Hibbertia Scandens but I didn't like their yellow flowers

There appears to be many climber options but would love to hear any suggestions.

Thanks
adakon
Lawn trimmer

Re: A good climber for pool area?

Postby Pam » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:15 am

To be honest, I'm struggling to think of anything that will cover the area you're talking about and be happy to live in an area where it will receive so little water. Once any plant got established its roots would be under the pavers. I suspect that anything that would thrive in those conditions would probably also in time lift your pavers.

Is there enough space there for a pot instead, or alternately you could look into one of the vertical wall setups you can get these days.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby dalelesley » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Bougainvillea is very hardy but does not have the shiny leaves. Not sure of your climate zone but I had one growing along the pool wall at my place in Perth. A star Jasmine has shiny leaves and should cover the area your talking about so would a Stephenotis but might take some time to grow that to has shiny leaves. Food for thought.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby Izzy Regan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:44 pm

Morning Glory--easy to grow, low maintenance. Comes in different shades of purple, red, pink or blue.
Izzy Regan
Weeder

Postby ymfoster » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:26 pm

How about a climbing Ivy Geranium, they come in a variety of colours,

Yvonne
ymfoster
Curator

Return to Garden Forum