Please Identify This One..

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, Sam, Bulbinella

Please Identify This One..

Postby abrogard » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:31 am

we just moved and i'm getting acquainted with the existing vegetation here. Figuring what to keep, what to remove.

Can't decide about this. Can anyone identify ?

abrogard
Curator

Re: Please Identify This One..

Postby Pam » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:13 am

Your pictures don't work abrogard.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:19 am

hmmm... wonder why...

I'll do something about it but no time right now... sorry for the screw up...

the pics are at pasteboard and I input the link.. usually works fine...
abrogard
Curator

Postby abwal » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:55 pm

They do open if you R click and select 'Open image in a new tab'.

Much easier for everyone if the instructions for adding images to this forum are followed. ( See 'Garden Express Newcomers Forum' above.)
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:21 am

Is that 'follow instructions' thing addressed to me?

Follow instructions? Easier? What could be easier than inserting an image link between image tags? Which I've done in every phpbb board I've been on, including my own boards.

I think. That's what I believe I do.

This is what I do:

Posting Photos FAQ
Postby ian » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 am

Alrighty, here is a FAQ for posting pictures. Let me know if there are any points that need to be added. Thats the beauty of a FAQ!

Step one: So you have your saved picture to your computer. Make sure you have saved it as a JPG file. Also ensure your photo isnt too large. You can edit it in Paint or a good photo editing software like Adobe Photoshop etc. I often make my photos 400x400 Pixels wide. This ensures the filesize is relatively small and doesnt take forever for viewers to download them. Something in the order of 100Kb is quite ok.

Step two: You need to upload these pictures to the internet. Often there are free places you can host pictures. http://www.photobucket.com is a popular one. I myself use a friends server. Will ring my internet provider as they have 15mb of space reserved for me. The free sites mean you sign up, then it will have a section to upload. It will be a window that has "browse" as an option, find the picture on your hard drive and hit the upload button.

Step three: Once its uploaded, view the picture on the internet site. Right click on it and select properties. This will bring up a window. In the middle of this window is a section: Address (URL). With your mouse, highlight the address, say http://www.photobucket.com/mypicture.jpg. Right click on the highlighted area and select copy.

Step four: Now go to Garden Express and begin a new thread. Type away. Then have "hey this is my picture" etc etc use the img tags. type [img] and then rightclick and paste the said URL. At the end of the url type [/ img] to close it off. So it looks like so:

[img]www.photobucket.com/mypicture.jpg[/ img]

(minus any spaces, have your file names as short words with no dots etc)

Finish your post and hit Submit. Or Preview to check it all worked.

Except I use pasteboard.

I don't know what went wrong. Maybe I didn't do what I thought I did, somehow.
abrogard
Curator

Postby Pam » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:56 am

A member of the nightshade family is about as much as I can provide. Hopefully someone else will be able to give a more precise id.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:26 am

Haha.. thanks for that, Pam.

I don't know why but the minute I saw it I thought 'deadly nightshade' - and I'd be the world's worst plant identifier. Funny, eh?

I better rip it out I guess.

:)
abrogard
Curator

Postby abwal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 am

Sorry if my previous reply sounded a bit abrupt. I was in a hurry when I wrote it and was just trying to be helpful and not being judgmental. From experience, I have found that the safest way to submit photos is by using the recommended method.

I am not sure what caused the problem with you photos, but it has happened before with other submissions by members.

You are, of course, welcome to use any method you choose.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:24 pm

No worries.

My point was that i followed the prescription.
abrogard
Curator

Postby abwal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:41 pm

I find the easiest way to add photos is to scroll down to the bottom of the post you are writing and select "Upload Attachment". Choose the photo file from your computer and click 'Add File'. You can choose where in your post you wish to insert the photo.

I generally reduce the size of photos I add to 640X480 using 'Irfan View'. I the place that photo file in a file I have called 'Reductions' ( very original) so it is easy to find when I want to post it.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Yep. I find the easiest way is to put them up on pasteboard and put the url in whatever post in whatever forum. I am happy to see that's what gardenexpress recommend.

first I reduce their size with whatever reducer it is I've got here on win10 - it pops up in the menu choices and I select it, been so long since I installed it I no longer remember what it is. You'll forgive me if I don't take the trouble to suss that out right now. I don't even remember what my reduce size is: 'medium' I think the utility calls it and I believe it is about 800 x 600 or so, a good safe size for today's situation, I feel.

I find this easiest because of the number of times I've run across limits to image upload on various forums for a one. Links never run into that problem. And hassles with image upload on some forums, too, for another.

Some forums don't need me to take this approach - they'd handle any kind of upload swiftly and well and they wouldn't care if I uploaded gigabytes of pics.

But that points to my last reason for doing it: habit. Ease. It works. It is more nearly 'universal'.

I feel everyone else should do whatever they like.

'cause I don't much give a damn.

Just saying...

:)
abrogard
Curator

Postby abwal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:04 pm

As I said earlier, each to his own. :)

If it works for you, why fix it?
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:46 am

if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
abrogard
Curator

Postby tam » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 pm

'deadly nightshade'
Bush tucker food.
The berries when green are poisonous but once black they are are edible.
My sisters dog used to eat the black ones. Don't know how he knew not to eat the green ones. :lol:
tam
Gardening Sage

Return to Plant & Pest ID