too many tomatoes

A forum for problem solving and exchanging ideas and knowledge related to the edible garden. Now includes sub-forum for sharing recipes and other ideas for using produce.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, jack, Sam, Luzy

too many tomatoes

Postby Ann » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:20 pm

Last year's Roma survivor cropped really well and has just died. However there is a limit to the tomatoes I can use so I collected buckets of tomatoes and boiled them up and then buried them :D There are enough seedlings comingup anyway and it saved all the seedlings later. I just buried them where there was a space. There were pumpkin seeds so should have pumpkins in the flower garden.
I'm a bit like Bruce's spider; try, try, try again. Sonas, Ann
Ann
Garden Wizard

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:03 pm

Ann, I hope in a few months you will not be saying "I wish I had put those tomatoes in the freezer!". Great in soups, stews and casseroles, but maybe you already did that :?:

Too many tomatoes?

Postby Kerrie » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:55 pm

I'm crying at the thought of wasting home-grown produce! My neighbours boil up extra tomatoes with basil and garlic and bottle it as a home-made pasta sauce. (They're Italian) which I plan on doing this year if I get too many. You can leave the seeds and skins in for texture, if you like, so it can be a quick and easy way to use excess crops.

I can't bear the thought of wasting vegetables I grew myself, there's always an easy way to use them up or preserve them for a couple of months down the track.

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Ann » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:33 pm

I know, but it's not going to waste!! :D I still have jars of tomatoes from last year 8) and I have other tomato plants coming on. :D I live alone, and while I do have a daughter here, her boys do not like tomatoes, :cry: and it's easier for them to cook by opening a tube or a jar. I have only a small freezer which I deeply regret getting now, :cry: :cry: and it's full because I got a frozen chicken hamper from Chrisco last year. I still have a couple of bags of pasta sauce as well!! I will make myself some later. :D
Ann
Garden Wizard

Re: Too many tomatoes?

Postby Shotgun Paul. » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:45 pm

Kerrie wrote:I'm crying at the thought of wasting home-grown produce! My neighbours boil up extra tomatoes with basil and garlic and bottle it as a home-made pasta sauce. (They're Italian) which I plan on doing this year if I get too many. You can leave the seeds and skins in for texture, if you like, so it can be a quick and easy way to use excess crops.

I can't bear the thought of wasting vegetables I grew myself, there's always an easy way to use them up or preserve them for a couple of months down the track.

Kerrie

Evening Kerrie,

Thanks for the info on the homemade pasta.
I gave one of my flower gardens out the front some compost that I have I have two 240 Litre compost bins out the back.
As a result I now have tomatoes growing in the flower garden and I am getting some strange looks from the neighbours,not that I am worried about it,if anything I am having a chuckle about it.

Regards,
Paul.
Shotgun Paul.
Head Curator

Postby Ann » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:08 pm

I'm considering that next year and concentrating more on permanent beds with strawberries, asparagus and other permanent delights. :D I put 2 watermelons in the front and they have thrived even with the heat blasts we get. Hope they do fruit.
Ann
Garden Wizard

Return to Fruit and Produce