Mini Dahlia's and Marigolds

This is the Garden Express Summer Garden Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries close March 17th 2006. Competition now closed - winners have been announced.

Mini Dahlia's and Marigolds

Postby dig_dug » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:39 pm

Hello everyone,

These pics are of a bed of Mini Dahlia's and Crackerjack Marigolds. They have blossomed better than i had expected. The soil here is typical Sth East of Melbourne Market Gardeners soil. Sand/Sillica, still it drains very well. I added a few 25 litre bags of cheap compost, only $ 3.00ea. I also added a very generous helping of blood and bone and mixed this in well.

Early on i had some issues with springtime Blackbirds that resulted in a few casualty's on the Mini Dahlia's. With this being the first time i have grown them i was not sure what they would look like as they also took the growing tips out of a few, This had a slow but worthwhile effect as they doubled into multiple head displays. Nature doing it's thing i guess. The Crackerjack Marigolds didn't attain the height i have had them to years back, Still we have had a lot of wind this Spring and they are a bit exposed in the early stages. The blooms were as fat as they always have been though.

Once a fortnight i would turn over the area's around the plants to help air the soil as it really packs down here if left for weeks on end. Other than this i watered regulary. Having some good solid rains this Spring i think has also helped.

One tip i have learnt this year is with liquid fertiliser. I have always been a fan of fish/seaweed based additives as they really work fantastic. This season instead of the usual once a fortnight as per the instructions..I went on to a small half cap or occasional full cap each time i watered. This is usually every 2/3 days or so. The results have been promising, My Impatience have quite thick stems and so many available tips for taking cuttings.

Cheers,
Shaun

dig_dug
Lawn trimmer

Postby Luzy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:57 pm

Hi Shaun,

Wonderful!!!! :D :D :D And you got the place for the summer garden comp right on!

It's all so beautifully colourful and I love the contrast that those little cyprus(?) trees give. (Y) I think that my favourite pic is the first one, because it's so bright and leaves you wondering what's beyond.

Very nice, Shaun!! :D :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Kerrie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:07 pm

Wow! Very impressive display of colour there. I think I've just changed my plans for the borders of the front garden for next year!

Kerrie
Kerrie
Curator

Postby Marrion » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:22 am

Well done Shaun, I like the second one and the last one (Y) Hope to see more from you :)
Marrion

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:43 am

wtg shaun, the 2nd picture is the winner.

Postby Lea » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:09 pm

Shaun, what an incredible display - fantastic (Y) 8)
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
Lea
Head Curator

Return to Summer Garden 2006 Photo Competition