I think my son is going to be a florist

A forum for casual conversations between gardeners about no particular topic. Please don't post gardening queries here as it is intended for general chat without getting in the way of the garden-related forum.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, enrico, Shotgun Paul.

I think my son is going to be a florist

Postby DrDuncs » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:18 pm

My 21month old son is obsessed with flowers at the moment. Every time we go for a walk around our neighbourhood and he sees one, he just starts yelling out "flower, flower" and won't keep walking until we pick him one. He doesn't discriminate either as he picks flowers off weeds. He just loves it and it warms my heart to watch him get so excited about something so many people take for granted.

He even got upset the other day when we drove past a field covered in weed flowers and he couldn't get one.
Caution: Learner Green Thumb - Plant Survival Not Guaranteed
DrDuncs
Curator

Re: I think my son is going to be a florist

Postby abwal » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Sound like he is well trained. :D :D :D Our granddaughter is just growing out of that stage.

( Gives you a great excuse to have a close look at the flower. :D )
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:24 pm

My niece was a shocker for picking flowers - always just off the bloom so impossible to put in vases. My sister found a 'ring vase' that was really shallow and perfect for the flowers she picked - mainly frangipannis.

When our girls got to the age of doing this we were really lucky that there was a programme on 'for the juniors' - the stuff that starts after 10 on the ABC...it was about bees and how they needed the flowers for their pollen. The girls didn't pick much after that - they left it for the bees. My sister always wished she'd found that show...
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby DrDuncs » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:16 am

I don't mind him doing it, I'm just trying to teach him to limit his haul, especially from other people gardens. I bought a packet of drawf sunflower seeds to give him really something to go :shock: 'WOW' :shock: about..... Just have to get around to planting some.
Caution: Learner Green Thumb - Plant Survival Not Guaranteed
DrDuncs
Curator

Postby achristensen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Wow a future florist. So it is 2018 now, how is he? Still love flowers? Myself is also a florist, love seeing flowers as it relaxes my mind everytime seeing one.
When it no longer fulfilling, even if you are comfortable with. Don't hesitate, walk away.
achristensen
Apprentice

Return to Garden Log